Tube amp for KEF Reference 3s

Hi Everyone,

Long time Audiogoner but this is my first post here.  I am looking for some suggestions regarding amplification for my KEF Reference 3s.  Currently I have a Modwright KWI 200 with built-in DAC which I like a lot, but wonder if the KEFs would benefit from a high-quality tube amp.  I would like to go for a high-end amp like a VAC or Air Tight but would prefer "testing the waters" first by trying a tube amp in my system.  I primarily listen to Tidal streamed through a Audalic Aries into the Modwright and analog through a VPI Traveler/Musical Surroundings Nova II.  I have a small listing area (my office) which is approximately 12 x 16 and I have some GIK acoustic panels in the corners and along my back wall.  If anyone has suggestions as to a "low-priced" tube amp that might give the KEFs a somewhat warmer sound I'd be willing to purchase used and then move up the chain to a higher-end amp if things work out.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

grnmtnboy77

If the objective is to just get close enough to experiment, I'd guess ANY tube amp with a >50 wpc power handling should suffice. My very limited experience with the tube amplification (or preamplification) has shown me that its difficult to find a "common thread" across all tube equipment with the exception of power handling and some midrange bulge, both of which can vary with tube choices even within a given amplifier.

Thanks kalali.  I'll probably try and go with a new tube amp in the 2k price range that is self biasing (don't want to mess with that) and see where it takes me.  Sounds like I have Rogue, Primaluna, Music Reference to look for. Any other considerations?
Hello  grnmtnboy77,
I own a pair of Kef Reference 3s as well.  I believe you made a good purchase!.  I run a Conrad Johnson tube amp and tube pre amp.  The amp is a LP66S and the pre amp is a Premier 17LS.  This combination has worked well for many years.  Unlike the C-J Premier 11A amp, which is shy of bass slam, (I owned one for many years as well) the LP66S provides a very realistic sound stage.  You would not be disappointed if you went this route, plus you can find excellent bargains right here on Audiogon for good quality, lightly used, C-J equipment.  Happy New Year!
Thanks quincy. I am old enough to remember when Conrad Johnson was THE tube equipment to buy. Good to know it is still being used successfully, particularly in this setting. I’ll keep my eyes (and ears) open!

As to my choice of the Ref 3s, I have been a KEF fanboy for a few years now-I own X300As, LS 50s, and had the R700 before moving up to the Reference series. Not sexy speakers but very neutral and not fatiguing in any way.
A retailer near me just got a pair of PrimaLuna ProLogue 7 mono amps in on trade and has them for sale at $2k.  They might be a good place to start with 70 wpc and self-biasing. 

Forgot to ask - are you planning on using the KWI200 as a preamp for your trial?  System synergy is an important factor when pairing an amp and preamp.  As I said, my MC275 might have some shortcomings, but paired with my preamp, it is pure heaven and the Ref 5s just disappear - regardless of what your VAC retailer might say :)