Soundlabs and magnepan mix on front stage?????

Building a home theater/2-channel listening system from scratch. I was leaning towards the soundlabs M-3 or A-3 used (don't own them yet). I like the soundlabs because they have a bit larger sweet spot and are less directional than the maggie 3.6's (my second choice).

My thought originally was to run three of the maggie 3.6's for the front, center and right but found them to be a bit to focused. Now leaning towards the soundlabs for the left and right speakers but still thought one of the 3.6's would make a great center channel.

The maggie is a 4 ohm load where the soundlabs run at 8 ohms. I was worried about speaker compatibility. Anyone run a setup similar to this, I know it's a little out there.

My amp plan was to run a Sim Audio Titan with MGM Maggies on the back wall for the surrounds. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
lance_s
Rleff,

Thanks for your input. I am currently trying to purchase a pair of soundlabs. If the deal goes through the surrounds will be next. I was speaking to Duke from AudioKinesis today and he told me that Soundlab actually suggested not running a center channel at all. The idea is that the big soundlabs do such a good job of soundstaging that it may not be necissary. The rear surrounds I am leaning towards the maggies MGM rears. I am going to give the system a shot with the 4 channel setup. If it's missing something I can always add a center channel.

I will look at the soundlab dynastats you mentioned.

How do the M-2's do in your theater setup? Anxious to hear it.

Thanks,

Lance
Lance s
The system overall if quite nice;using Theta Casa Nova,PSE HL-1 with bypass and manley 440 monoblocks for the soundlabs; all my other speakers are actives.The center channel seems to be a tough act to blend with the m2's but as I said my major and critical listening is with the PSE and the manley's driving the m2's.
Maybe I will try running just the m2's with rears and sub just to see what that sounds like as per Duke's suggestion to you.
I think the mmg's for rear surrounds are a good pick; watch the distance from the back wall.
Good luck and enjoy the soundlab's if you get them;What power are going to use to drive them?
Rleff,

Thanks for the input. Duke said to run the surround in "center channel fantom mode". I am not sure if all pre/pro's have this option but check your rig and give it a try. He also said to give the SL's a little more toe-in but I am sure you will have success trialing what works best. Please let me know. I will be anxious to hear what you think. If I can avoid a center channel it would be great from a cost and power perspective.

For the amp I am leaning towards JC-1 monoblocks. I would love Atmas but even the MA1's are 6K used which is steep. I have always heard really great things about the JC-1's and the soundlab marriage so I will most likely go that direction. They can be had for around 3K used and it's a ton of amp for the money. Of course, I am always looking for opinions. I have read every thread on the subject and most agree that big tubes are best but to get into the game it get's expensive fast.

Pre/pro will either be the theta casa3 or the Proceed AVP2+6 (still trying to decide). I don't know if the theta has individual analog inputs (I assume they do but haven't seen the back panel yet) so i have to check. The new panny 50 dvd player decodes all of the new codecs and has independent analog outs so I can run all of the new codecs analog straight out and run the projector via HDMI direct while bypassing the prepro for the video side. I know I will have to run a switch box for the HDTV feed and gaming feed but it's worth it to have all the new codecs running analog without a processor doing the decoding.

Haven't decided on a sacd yet. The maggies for the rears are the MGM's which mount directly to the wall and have the hinges so you can adjust toe-in. I like the idea because they get the speakers off the floor and are designed to not need wall backspacing so they should be great. When not in use you can push them flush with the wall and they just look like sound board :-) The rear amp, if I can avoid a center channel will most likely be a relatively inexpensive 2 channel, maybe an old 200W SS amp that is stable at 4 ohms to drive the maggies (still not the easiest load but they are quite a bit smaller than the floor staning models)

Still working out the details of the system but I appreciate the input. Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Thanks,

Lance