Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
different melting points
??????

It is the melting point (blow point) that determines the amperage. If they blow and the other don't, they're wrongly rated.
Do not up the amperage as you don't know what your getting, and your warranty of the equipment will be void as well.

Cheers George
I’m laughing because there is no warranty on my amps or preamp. They are Grover Huffman custom designs of which there are four or five made. Obviously, the amps are operating just fine with the higher rated SR fuses and Elliott of SR suggested that I use them because of the huge draw on turnon due to the huge capacitors..

If you read previous posts, they indicated by someone who appears knowledgeable that there exists a range of up to 400% in melting points which may or may not be the same thing as amperage. SR states that their fuses are different than standard fuses and should be chosen accordingly based on the equipment needs, not just as the manufacturer stated.

I am quoting the prior posts below for your edification:

Jon, sorry that you’ve experienced this issue. I have no particular suggestions beyond what Sgordon1 has said (although you indicated that you’ve already performed step 1 of his suggestions), but the following may have some relevance:

I took a look at the detailed technical info for the 0.25A 250V 5x20mm fast blow fuses manufactured by Littelfuse, one of the leading makers of non-audiophile fuses. Interestingly, they offer at least four different series of fuses of that specific type, designed to various combinations of UL, IEC, and other standards, which have "nominal melting points" (defining the combination of current and time that will cause the fuse to blow) ranging from 0.0166 amps squared-seconds to 0.042 amps squared-seconds. That’s a difference of a factor of 2.5, even though all of those fuses are from a single manufacturer and all are 5x20mm fast blow fuses rated at 0.25A 250V.

If the stock 0.25A 250V 5x20mm fast blow fuses in your amp are rated at or near the upper end of that 0.0166 to 0.042 range, and the unspecified rating of the SR fuse is at or near (or even below) the lower end of that range, it would certainly seem to account for what happened. If you call SR, you might ask them if they can tell you what the nominal melting point of that fuse is, in amps squared-seconds.

and this one:

Gpgr4blu, I’m sure Tsushima1 is correct about the physical size and voltage rating of the fuses that are required for your ARC gear, but to clarify about the voltage ratings: The 500v and 250v ratings refer to how much voltage a fuse can withstand when it blows. The voltage a fuse will "see" when it blows (i.e., the voltage that will appear between the fuse’s two contacts) will be the full line voltage. So the higher that rating is the better, everything else being equal. Under normal operating conditions the voltage appearing across fuses having these kinds of ratings will be a very miniscule fraction of a volt. And when the component is turned off the voltage appearing across the fuse will be zero.

HOWEVER, I would disagree with a couple of important things that have been said just above:

1)I would strongly recommend against substituting a fast blow fuse of somewhat higher current rating for a slow blow fuse of somewhat lower current rating. Some time ago, in connection with this thread, I looked at the detailed "melting point" specifications that are provided by the major manufacturers of garden variety fuses. That spec defines the approximate combination of current and time that will cause the fuse to blow (actually, in terms of current squared x time, which is proportional to energy). The upshot is that such a substitution stands an excellent chance of causing the fuse to blow almost immediately. Especially in the case of a mains fuse, where brief but very large "inrush currents" may occur at turn-on.

2)Earlier in the thread there were multiple anecdotal indications that the unspecified melting points of SR fuses are probably a bit lower than those of garden variety fuses having the same current rating (i.e., indications that the SRs blow a bit more readily). And it would seem expectable that in general a fault in a component that would cause a fuse to blow is more likely than not to result in a very large current increase, rather than one that is just slightly greater than the rating of the original fuse. Especially in the case of a mains fuse. So for both of those reasons I would suggest using a 6.3A slow blow in a 6A slow blow application, and an 8A slow blow in a 7A slow blow application. And likewise if an SR fast blow is substituted for a stock fast blow.

I had previosly seen this thread but already knew of the SR Black fuse and bought four of them. I loved them but wondered if those on this thread thought the reds were better. Obviously I see now that this was not true.

But I see now that there is now a further is of whether everything matters. I think is is true. In the last four years, the realism of my system has jumped greatly. SR Black fuses are one ingredient, but others include Zilplex tesonant devices, Star Sound racks, platforms, and Audio Points, BMC Aradia speakers, BMC MCCI phono stage, NAP's H-cat preamp X 10 preamp X-10 preamp and especially X-10 MkIV amp, Archiving Vinyl's AVM music server and awesome AVARI DAC, and especially,the High Fidelity Cables Pro series ICs, PCs, and speaker Speaker wires, TriPoint's Troy Signature grounding unit with SE grounding wires, and, of course the SRBlack fuses.

I can honestly say that I have removed each of these and found a loss of realism. I am one happy man.

Good to hear, tbg. It was more than 4 years ago that I heard your system and it sounded great to me then. I am still enjoying the Hollographs and the Sound Anchors stands and my Apogee friends love the DIY Helmholz resonators

Best wishes and Happy New Year,
Dave 
So if I were to take the dive and replace all of my fuses with SR Black, should I get one rating higher than the rating of my fuses. I would be pretty upset if all of my fuses started blowing.

The VHAudio buy-2-get-1-free deal is really tempting me to take the plunge!