Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
Good to see you- dgarretson

I liked the Esoteric for SACD playback only. DV-60 model.
I have not auditioned the true higher end spinners.  Happy Listening!
Right On! stevebraxton-

Yes, there are parts still avail for the SCD-1. Lots of searching and researching these forums on A'gon and Audio Asylum will yield the intel you seek.  Rick Rubin and Henry Rollins still uses this CD/SACD player.
Highest praise there.  Keep us posted on your repair situation.

Happy Listening!
Thanks jafant for encouragement on the SCD-1 repair!
To all on this thread who care to provide feedback...

I went to a local repair shop and described the symptoms.
Without looking at the unit, the technician concluded the problem is with the reader (lens assembly) and not likely the sled motor.
Do you agree?

The symptoms are listed below.

Dec 2016 problem with SACD & RBCD playback. Also, an occasional thumping noise inside CDP occurs. The noise can be heard across the room.

Intermittent error: No Disk
If play starts after loading a CD it will usually play all the way to the end.

If play does not start then eventually the "No Disk" error will occur.
I can hear the disk spinning during the load process.

When attempting to select a specific track, the track number shows on display but eventually, the "No Disk" error occurs.
stevebraxton-

you have enjoyed some milage out of your SCD-1. What year did you purchase it?  I thought of another avenue- if you are close to Texas, Pyramid Audio in Austin, may be of service as well.
Keep me posted.
jafant-
I purchased the SCD-1 in 2003 from J&R Music World.
The build date is Sep 2001.
I'll keep Pyramid Audio in mind.  However, Texas is not close.  I am in the south eastern coast.
The local repair shop tech stated he will search for a replacement lens assembly.  Waiting to hear back.  In the meantime I cleaned and lubed the sled rails again.  Its working better today but still making a thumping noise.