Best Cheap Amps for Magneplanar Speakers

I want to drive some medium sized to large Maggies (1.7 or 3.7) with the cheapest possible amps that will still let them sound great.

I prefer monoblocks and by 'cheap' I mean a kilobuck or so, tho less would be fine too.  I do NOT want to spend 4 thou...
randy-11
Are there any solid-state designs that will give a similar sound to what frogman describes for tubes?  (I have a tube pre if that helps).

I know there are MOSFET amps that are designed to simulate the circuit topology and sound of single end triodes...

I think NuPrime is one (?)
Two such options would be Pass or Ayre, but both are likely out of your price range.
There is a couple discussions here on AG, that described the
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II Integrated Amp Combined with the MMG's sounding very good. I would think this would apply to the 1.7.
I think this is within your budget ($2,400.00 New) plus the pre is integrated. There's a fellow member by the name of mapman who wrote hearing this system. You could PM him to see if he could provide further info.   
Hi frog man,
Overwhelmingly high powered SS  amplifiers are suggested for driving Maggies.  I happen to agree with your recommendation if the objective is a more natural and realistic instrument/vocal tone. You've provided very good advice. 
Charles