Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
My advice for anyone on the fence is do your homework, listen and decide for yourself. Only then will you know.
Well Mapman, if you would’ve said this at the beginning of the thread, we could’ve saved a lot of typing.

It’s what I did, and decided class C wasn’t for me.
AFAIK, class C is a poor choice for audio (better for FM transmitter).
Hate it when I make stupid mistakes like that.
timrhu,

I agree, class C amps are not for you.  But have you heard about the latest class D amps?  WOWIE WOW!  Where should I start?......

Later,
 Tim
Class C is great for ham radio!  Ha!

Folks, most class D designs are really a type of Single Ended amp. Something we've been going back to last couple of decades. This may explain why D is finally getting there. The snag class D still deals with is the control loop (feedback). We're still learning - so expect class D to get better and better.

Sound quality depends on the inherent linearity of the amp w/o feedback. Tube guys know this well. Some of us are trying to do this concept with D. Won't happen overnight. 

A is just another version of A/B. Bias is used to increase the operational linearity of the devices. It works to a point. Cost is serious $$$$ and heat. Some day, D will incorporate all these factors that are pluses in other topologies. Then we'll all stay cool dudes....