Choosing Sub-woofers. Please advise ASAP.

Finally, I have committed to the new home theater system and need sub-woofers. My listening and theater space is about 16' x 14' but then total open space (kitchen in the back) is 16' x 32'. I would like to listen to non-dealer advise. Thank you.

Mcintosh MX160
Mcintosh MC1.2Kw x 2
Mcintosh MC205 x 2
Wilson Audio Alexia - Front Left and Right Speakers
Wilson Audio Mezzo - Center Speaker
Wilson Audio Sophia - Side and Rear Surround Sound Speakers
Origin Acoustic D88 - Atmos Speakers

I like the REL and the JL Audio but JL Audio is my primary choice. The question is 2 x 12" or 2 x 10" or single Dual 12"? The stereo dealer told me 10" would blend in better with music while HT dealer says 12" will have better effect because even my listening space is mall but overall room is large.

Your thought please? I need decision by tomorrow so I can close the final piece. Thank you.
sautan904
@ mapman. I thought so too. That is my original idea but shaken up a little when spoke to the dealer. He suggested his 2 used 10" subs at super crazy discount....

Also the room size is OK for 2x 12" subs?
That 10" subs sound better for music is a myth perpetrated by those who don't know how to integrate them well.

Without a doubt, 2x 12" is the better way to go. However, with all this spend, who is doing your room acoustics and subwoofer integration?

You should have that all done for you.

Erik
My point at the end is, subwoofers are fabulous when well fed, and evil monsters otherwise. If you are getting pro help integrating them, great, otherwise it can be a real learning curve and chore.

Erik
Two 12s are best but yes may take work to integrate well. 

10" is good with limited range speakers like monitors.  But good 12 done right still better.  
sautan904,

You obviously have invested in some very good amps and speakers.  Getting a good bass system in place will complete the audio portion of your home theater.

I think I'm the 3rd person to recommend multiple subs for the best bass performance both in terms of ensuring bass sounds good throughout the entire room (no bass peaks or weak spots at some seats) and quality bass impact. 

A very good solution for you would be what's called a 'Distributed Bass Array System'.  If you google this name, there is a lot of info on this; the theory behind it explained by the acoustic engineer, Dr. Gettis,who 1st proposed it,  explanations of how it is applied and sellers of these systems..

I purchased one of these bass systems for $3,000 called DEBRA from Audio Kinesis in Utah.  I was so impressed I started a thread here on Audiogon that describes my system and asks for input from others that have employed it.  Unfortunately, there aren't many current members who use it.  A good place to start would be to read this thread.  Here's a link to it:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/anybody-else-using-a-distributed-array-sub-system?highlight=d...

I was originally considering solutions like you are.  2 subs along the front wall at spots that are convenient.   I was looking at Hsu, Rhythmik, REL and JL that would be good for music and ht.  Fortunately, I discovered the distributed bass array system before I decided on specific brand and model of subs.  Here's a link to the site I bought the Debra at:

http://jamesromeyn.com/old-pages/home-audio-gear/dsa-1-0-distributed-subwoofer-array-5-pieces-4k-usd...

I was skeptical at first but, after many emails and phone conversations with James Romeyn, I decided to give it a try.  I justified the cost by rationalizing that 2 high quality subs would likely exceed the $3k cost of the array.

The system consists of 4 67 lb  4 ohm  subs that are relatively small with 8" woofers that are ported.  The subs are powered by a 1,000 watt class A/B amp that has a variable  cut-off frequency control. There is an extensive and detailed setup procedure that instructs exactly where to place each sub in your room and how to wire the subs in-series to the amp.

I know 8" woofers seem small but the 4 summed together produce excellent bass for both music and ht.  It's very versatile and can reproduce taut and nuanced bass for music and reproduce wall- shaking deep, powerful and sustained bass for ht that makes ht effects sound very real which can  be startling at times. The added bonus is that you won't have a bad seat in your room for great bass response and you'll have no need  for bass room treatments or  digital signal processing systems.

I'm not a dealer and I have no financial interest in distributed bass array systems or companies.

Just a big fan of this method,
   Tim