VPI Scout 2 vs. Luxman PD 441

I'm on the fence about just selling my Luxman PD 441 table as I need to upgrade the tonearm from a Denon DA-307 and that seems to be a $1,000+ proposition.
I would replace it with something from VPI and keep my Grado The Reference high output cartridge.  Maybe a Scout 2 with JMW 9 arm?
My question is whether it is worth it for me to upgrade to a better arm for the Luxman or just ditch the whole thing and get a VPI?
Can I even get any $ for the Luxman to soften the blow?
Thanks for any advice.
Brian

bdunne

@bdunne 

No reflection on Hollywood Sound, but the chance is close to nill that a brick and mortar store will understand or communicate the merit of a vintage table or tonearm relative to current production.   

Keep the Luxman. It’s a way better turntable. Maybe a new cartridge and a different tonearm would bring new life into that set up
Don´t sell your LUXMAN !! Second everything Dave the Messenger says, he has experienced many HQ decks over the years.
Replace the original elastomer feet with Stlllpoints. Also heavy brass feet or even cheap maglev feet will do the trick IME . And as the Genesis man says, a new decent tonearm will bring new life. Trans-Fi Audio´s Terminator linear airbearing TA is the answer to your prayers. You will then have a true giant killer TT.
" No reflection on Hollywood Sound, but the chance is close to nill that a brick and mortar store will understand or communicate the merit of a vintage table or tonearm relative to current production."

That's just a stupid thing to say. Larrys considered to be one of the best TT guys in the country. You're judging someone you don't know based on a guess. How on earth would having a store inhibit him from being able to properly explain the pro's and con's of vintage TT's? You have to have someplace to work out of. 

If you've ever been to his store, you'll see that he has rooms filled with vintage TT's. He has the biggest collection I've ever seen, and probably has the OP's Luxman in the store. If you don't believe me, go there and see for yourself.

I'm extremely picky about the people I recommend. If I'm not 100% sure on someone, I won't mention them.