Pioneer Elite vs. Pioneer "Standard" Kuro Plasmas

My primary question is weather or not the "Elite" models are worth the extra dough ? Does anyone know if they can both be ISF calibrated ?

Thank you
jeraza
So as I understand it, Pioneer is going to stop making the actual physical plasma panel/displays at the end of 2009. To date they have made their own. Now they will subcontract.

They will continue to make Pioneer brand plasma monitors/sets - meaning with their own electronics, GUI, feature set and cosmetics. I have not seen anything about whetehr they will keep their current model nomenclature (Kuro, Elite) or use the occassion to introduce new models.

Personally I am not concerned and I own one - Pioneer has been in this game a long time and I am sure parts and support will be available for some time.

ISF. Yes they do come and fiddle around. The results are "not subtle". Unless you have a great eye and have spent an inordinate amount of time on set-up, your set will look markedly better.

You can expect richer blacks with more shadow detail, more accurate flesh tones and greens, and cleaner whites. This is done by adjusting/maximizing the color space, fine tuning the gamma and a myriad of other details.

As one added bonus you will learn a lot about your unit since most ISF techs want you there with them while they do the set up.

As the other added bonus the tech will (probably) look at all your sources and make any adjustments necessary to the menus. Make sure you negotiate this as part of the service

They will give you a written record of all the settings so if you want to tweak or try other recipes you should be able to get back to where you started. (Note some of the adjustments cannot be made without specialized gear - obviously you will not be able to tinker with those.)

Other then that - what all of the previous posters said applies =)
Wader1971...I've had no regrets purchasing a 151FD. Regardless of any of the reviews it can produce a simply stunning picture if the program material is up to the task. Like a resolving speaker system an Elite is at the mercy of upstream source and media.

Starting with their refinement of the Laser Disk Pioneer seems to have had at least one product that is either the state of the art for consumer component or at least very close to it. It's sad to think such a fruitful development staff may be dismantled.

I paid $5200 delivered for my 60" 151FD five months ago.
I have a 50" standard Pioneer plasma.

I think it has one of the best pictures I have seen. The Elites are probably even better, but for me, there is little added value.

So I would have to agree with Iplaynaked.
Pioneer will stop making their panels in April 2009

I heard this and just bought a 60' kuro 14
I have an older 50" elite
nothing like the pioneers and no fear buying it
mines been reliable from day one
the best tv on the market
There are reports from NIKKEI, a businees blog
that Pioneer is getting out of the television business
for good. The switch to the other panels may not happen.
Pioneer states they are losing money on the line.

Search "pioneer quitting television". I do not want
to be the one starting a rumor, but I have read this several times in business magazines.