Resale value

Just curious ... do you consider potential resale value when purchasing new or used equipment?
rlb61
tonykay
Look, this is a "forum." In a forum, you’re free to express your opinion.
Of course! However, when misstatements of facts are made, contributors should not be surprised if they are corrected, such as when you stated:
The stock exchanges don’t "ensure" liquidity, they simply facilitate it
So as you also stated:
If you don’t like what you’ve read...just get over it!

I consider resale. But I try to take the long view, so I also want to be reasonably assured of future support, which requires somewhat more than a small shop.

I sometimes keep things so long the value becomes negligible.  E.g., a $5000 amp I got in 1996 would cost much more than that to replace now.

Seems odd that anyone here would fail to grasp such basic concepts as "investment" and "market maker".  People may say they are "investing" in mental health or happiness or their children or whatever, but it isn't meant literally. They mean they are spending money (an expense) and hope for a benefit (as opposed to a profit, as from an investment).

Some high end audio equipment consists of assets, but they are depreciating assets. Like your daily driver car, they are not investments.  There are a few exceptions in audio, but they are rare
@lloydc When talking about a child's future, what term would you use in place of "investing?"

"investing" in a child's future is not meant literally, It has some of the characteristics of investing, but not all.  It's an analogy. The parent doesn't expect to profit from it, it's a gift.   

I'm looking at funding an Ivy League education right now, which puts any significant hifi acquisitions on hold.  I think I'll call it, "paying".

Post removed