Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Pass labs 250 INT - but while I am sure they are really great - are HUGE and serious $$$.
In Australia the Belcanto Ref600’s are $8k around the same as the Pass 250 int.
The new BC Ref600 monoblocks use the latest NC500 Hypex modules with moded from what I was told output filters (cascaded?) by BC. They sounded very good to me with a certain Raven ribbon tweeter that presented a very flat 8ohm load in the uppermids/highs. Read my post here.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/class-d-technology/post?postid=1372318#1372318

Cheers George

" Mid fi has a negative connotation in these parts. That’s all. One can either laugh or be insulted. Best to not use the term unless that is the message intended."

Well said, mapman.

Ralph (atmasphere) stated:

" What I'm seeing in class D is something I've not seen in audio before- amplifiers that use the same parts as a mid fi amp as in a high end amp. In fact its safe to say that class D has lifted mid fi performance to what many would have called 'high end' only a decade earlier."

Georgelofi acknowledges the benefits of class D but mentions its low cost in a manner that suggests it's not a further benefit, implying that sound quality and low cost are mutually exclusive and that we should, therefore, look down upon this technology that dares to sound so good and be so affordable at the same time.  

I'm a fan of all good class D amps and admit it's a bit annoying to hear them described as 'mid-fi'. But it is true that class D amps today are in a wide range of products that do cover a wide spectrum of sound quality: from 'mid-fi' applications such as car audio, boom boxes, home receivers and powered full-range speakers/subs (that enabled better sound for less cost than the previous amps used)  to  'high-end' applications  such as the state of the art line of modules from Hypex ,  Anaview/Abletec and Pascal modules that are used in world-class amps from Jeff Rowland, D-Sonic, Mark Levinson, Marten, Merrill Audio, Audio Research, Halcro and possibly even Atma -Sphere in the near future.
     These are just some thoughts from my perspective from the outside as a consumer looking in.  I have no amp design experience or knowledge and wish all amp companies, regardless of the amplification type employed,  continued success.

Tim    

Congratulations geekboy!

Be patient with your new BC Ref600S before evaluating them seriously.... Unless they were completely broken in before you got them, it will take anywhere from a few hundred hours to about 1000 hours for them to reach their full potential.... Try leaving them powered up 24/7 and let them crunch a signal at medium lowish volume... E.g. the interstation hash from an FM radio tuner.... That should clear their musical throat quite nicely. Full break-in on class D amps is essential... The difference is quite staggering.

Once they have stabilized, the careful selection of PCs will bring them to even newer hights. For PCs that are not super-expensive, I would suggest Shunyata Alpha

Regards, Guido

ee
Guido have you heard ref1000m amps respond similarly to power cords?  In what way specifically?  Thanks.

Hi Mapman, when I had BC REF1000, I had best results in ascending order with Furutech Evo II, Shunyata CX series, and Shunyata Z-tron... By Extrapolation, I conjecture that the Shunyata Alpha and Sigma series might yield even more desirable results.

Saluti, Guido