Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
Sounds like a smart approach. I use the W.E. Replica 101d tubes  in my Line Stage and they’re clearly an upgrade in sound quality across the board. Well worth their additional cost.
Good luck,
Charles
"The marantz is not a receiver/AV so to speak, but a pre. None the less, if has tons of video signal components, and will be replaced. Now as far as the sensitive cornwalls.. The most unbearable in this chain would be SS components in concern with the kt77 tweeter and ability of the horns to be shrill or overly bright with my previous SS amps.. I will be adjusting my components and sources further more. I have heard a line magnetic 216ia with lascalas recently and it was a nice sound and very listenable"

"Trim pots? On an amplifier? That's just adding another potential source of noise. It's much better to just select components that have the proper amount of gain for the rest of your system. "

"Trim pots are common in some Japanese low output amplifiers. Shindo amplifiers are some of the most quiet I have ever heard. "

"Regards to trim pots and worries of signal noise. The line magnetics are right up there with the shindo’s in performance believe it or not. Charles1, thank you for your reply. This is the sort of supportive advice i was looking to extract. I am leaning towards the 219ia."

Not every quote I list is yours. I put them in because they are relevant. I had a good reason for saying what I did in my first post. If you want to buy a bunch of components based on reviews and opinions, that's your choice. Besides, it allows some of us to get really good deals here on Audiogon.

Where I think you went wrong, was understanding what I said about the functionality of your system. To be honest, if you put all that stuff together and it just sounds bad, you're doing well. I know that's not what you want to hear because you're looking for a certain type of supportive advice, but I'm not one to pat you on the back and tell you you're doing the right thing because that's what you want to hear. There's plenty of other people who will do that for you. So I'll leave you with just one question. If you choose to answer it, you may gain some info that will help you make some decisions.

Why do you think they put trim pots on Shindo amps to begin with?

mb1 audio,
Do you really believe that jkull is merely seeking pats on the back? I don't get that impression, rather he is attempting to establish a database for 2 amplifiers he has interest in owning. Reviews and forum feedback is a practical way to gain information.  It has been very helpful to me over the years.  You have to begin somewhere and listening to a product isn't always readily available. 

I purchased my amplifier, speakers and DAC as a result of owner feedback combined with reviews and it worked out fabulously. Other components I own I was able to hear prior to buying. 
Charles 

I think the OP (jkull) is also looking for some good advice as well, but may not know the right questions or how to interpret the answers.

The Line Magnetic is a very good sounding integrated amp and either (I have heard both) should match well with the Klipsch speakers. The OP could use the phono section in the Marantz until they buy a phono preamp or a preamp with phono built into it. I would get the 219ia, because I like the 845 tube sound better and I also think it will be better with more aggressive music.