Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
" Right now the technology is to the point where the amps have become practical for mid fi, but they still have a ways to go before they can challenge a good class A transistor amp or a good tube amp."

Mid-fi?  That's actually a funny statement!

As for challenging others, people need to listen and decide.   All amps have technical issues and challenges.  Citing these and comparing does not tell you anything about which sounds best.
I've owned several Class D amps and just don't think they have the musicality of very good Class A and AB amps.
ricred,

That’s certainly a fair assessment. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

Mid-fi is not a fair assessment though IMHO. No amp is perfect. In that sense they are all "mid-fi" maybe. But I tend to think not. Each can only shine best when set up well and properly matched to speakers, etc. They are all the same in that way.

I've owned several Class D amps and just don't think they have the musicality of very good Class A and AB amps.
Same experience here.
I have two Class D amps. Bel Canto ref1000m monoblocs in my main system (with ARC tube pre-amplifier) and true digital Bel Canto c5i integrated in my other smaller setup.

They each sound way different. Both are "musical" but not in the same way. You should hear the c5i with headphones. It is quite spectacular. Plus it does all the rest extremely well to boot!

Mid--fi? I think not. I’ve heard a lot of mid and hi fi over the years. Both play in the bigger league for sure.  Kinda like the Cubs and Indians.  Maybe even the Yankees and Cardinals!