Question for sub woofer users

I'm kicking around getting a sub for my Quad 2805 speakers.  Here's the question;

Are subs "set and forget," or do you have to constantly fiddle with output volume and crossover point with different recordings?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
jzzmusician
Read in a book that a good place to set a subwoofer is as close to the listening position as possible . Have been using that method for a few years . Works well . You would think you would sense the sub being so close , but the bass seems like it is emulating from between the speakers . Pretty cool . 
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice.  I'm going to start watching the listings and if something good comes up at a price I can afford I'm gonna give it a shot.

Several of you felt that two subs were waaaaay better than one.  Others, not so much.  The phase issue with one sub was mentioned and that would seem to be pretty important. 

Should I be looking at two subs instead of one?  The available room is not a problem unless, as lustformusic felt, that the subs were best positioned inside the speakers.  This may be a problem for my wife as there is a television that would probably be in the way.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Bob
Forgot to ask a question;

I've got a Prima Luna integrated that has one "mono out." 

Is is possible to hook up two subs with only one out?

Thank you again.

Bob
I’m in the 2 subs are better than 1 camp myself. A pair of Ohm MicroSubwoofer 10’s have been in my system now for a few years and have been integrated easily (by ear) with 3 different pairs of speakers (Maggie MMG, Mark & Daniel Ruby, and Ohm MicroWalsh Tall). For crossover duties I use an old Outlaw Audio ICBM -1.

@jzzmusician .. a y-splitter would do the trick.
Yes, two subs if you can, it will be more robust and spread out.  Even though we say that bass below  a certain frequency is not directional, you still feel where it comes from.