Looking for music streamer/server...Is a Macbook Pro better than a Sony Hap Z....

I narrowed down my audio choices down to 2. I am looking to purchase a music streamer/server and when I visit the audio shows all the manufactures use Mac Pro's. Is this the best way to play Hi-Rez music? Is it better than the Sony Hapz1?

All comments are greatly appreciated.

matt00
I recently switched from using my MacBook Pro to an Auralic Aries Mini.  As is I'd say sound quality is about on par, while the user interface (software) if far superior.  I've added an external power supply and the sound quality improves significantly.  No regrets.

Another happy Auralic Aries Mini user coming from a MacBook Air using USB out to MF VLink 192 to Schiit Gungnir.  ALAC files on external hard drive played by BitPerfect.  Haven't upgraded the power supply on the Aries yet.  It did let me get rid of the long USB cable from the MacBook and I don't have to keep the MBA running.  The Lightning DS app on my iPhone is pretty neat.  Most useful that phone has ever been to me.

SQ is at least as good as it was from the MBA when playing the same ALAC files on ext. hard drive (USB out from the Aries Mini into V-Link and then coax into the Gungnir). BUT I also think I might finally be hearing what people have been saying about Tidal streamed from the Aries (1 yr subscription included in the current Mini's US purchase price).  Before the Aries, Tidal HiFi did not sound significantly better to me than Spotify Premium.  Now, it sounds better than it did before....at least I think it does.   
Yes sbank, a NAS and streamer into a DAC as you're suggesting works very well. It can also come down to how technically savvy someone is as well. The problem I have with Macs or PCs is the knowledge and tweaking it takes to sound their best. To get great sound out of a computer, you often need specialized software to shut down system processes and maybe jitter reducers/reclockers to get the best out of the USB signal. Then you're still dealing with a computer in the room, etc. Many other approaches simply sound better without all the tweaking.
You don't have to tweak the computer. Istream Tidal and Classicsonlinehd from a MacBook Pro and it is superb. I eliminate the long cable by using WIFI. I get rid of all computer noise by using an Intona Galvonic Isolater. I use a Singzer USB converter and send to my dac via HDMI I2S. Control the laptop from an IPAD using VNC.Had an Aries Auralic and this is much better.
Alan
DIY a Linux based streamer for USB. 2TB plus gaming and video for around $650. You can go even cheaper with a pi based solution.

You can then use Samba to share the music directory and use whatever music software you want to tag and organize it.

Best,

Erik