Best Capacitors for Crossovers

I am now in the tweaking stage of trying different caps in my crossovers for my DIY homemade 2 way. I presently have and will soon try a 5.6uf 800 vdc +/- 2% Jantzen Audio Silver Z-cap.

I see that Mundorf, V Cap get a lot of accolades, and the Dueland are quite pricey.

Does anyone have a favorite?

I am trying to cross over at about 4500HZ at 6db.

128x128ozzy

Best Capacitors for Crossovers

I am now in the tweaking stage of trying different caps in my crossovers for my DIY homemade 2 way. I presently have and will soon try a 5.6uf 800 vdc +/- 2% Jantzen Audio Silver Z-cap.

I see that Mundorf, V Cap get a lot of accolades, and the Dueland are quite pricey.

Does anyone have a favorite?

I am trying to cross over at about 4500HZ at 6db.

ozzy

Best bang for buck Ozzy is the Solens. I was told by someone in the know that a few of the "boutique" branded caps are just re-badged Solens.

http://solen.ca/product-category/capacitors/

Cheers George

Ozzy, it’s really rare an audiophile blows a tweeter, unless you use a very low order filter and it’s too low an F.  In additon to the filter, there's usually resistors padding them down, so you have to work kind of hard to blow them.  Leave extraneous things like that out unless you are making a party/pa speaker.

Best,

Erik

georgelofi,

I have tried the Solens and they are ok but they seem to compress the dynamics. The caps I am using have silver leads and silver wiring

eric,

I do like to play the Pass Labs amp pretty loud sometimes. I'm crossing over the tweeters at 4500hz. There frequency rating is 1700-20000+hz, 6 ohm and have a 30 watts rms rating .I have not added any resistors. First off, I am not sure what they contribute. Can someone explain? Is it for equalizing the levels between the tweeter and woofer?

I have been using the Purist break in disc quite a bit and I do believe the brightness is toning down.

I have tried the Solens and they are ok but they seem to compress the dynamics.

Really? I found the opposite, with all of them, when used in my ESL xovers, and even in my Plasma tweeter xovers, especially I found the SILVER METALLIZED POLYPROPYLENE to be vey good, but everything has to be perfect to handle these babies, because they’re so fast and clean.

Which ones did you try?, as there are quite a few models (8 I believe) that can do the job inside a speaker xover.

Cheers George
I've used those in my crossover with great success on a similar tweeter.

Now I'm waiting on some to arrive for my power amp.

Good luck.