Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi all,

Haven't posted here for a while. I acquired a local China brand air pump (FFYX which made its own air bearing tonearm and turntable), not cheap (around 600 USD), but its super quiet and cool. It provides about 4 psi to my ET2. I think I will stick with this for a little while.

On the other hand, my vinyl system is continuously being tweaked. While I rebuild my ET2, I got the new Aluminum arm base and clamp from Bruce, and also added the VTA dial. Still tuning.

Found a used Bright Star Air Isolation Platform and a custom made sand box for the VPI TNT, and look forward to have its current owner to ship to me.

Cheers
Eric
Eric et al - I don't know how Bruce makes such good quality parts for what he sells them for. Just glad he is there and his tonearm still a leader in design and execution.

We do know he has his plane. I assume he has made some interesting contacts in the aviation field; maybe this is how he is able to do it.

I tell my kids that education is critical to your success; but in the end its the contacts that will get you there. Wherever you are headed.

On a side note I just remembered something. I spent some time this summer with a few friends helping out a buddy, replace the Gimbal bearing in his boat motor assembly. You know I couldn't help but think about how it worked and making comparisons to gimballed bearing tonearms. I did not mention this to them. :^)

Now there is a great combination - pressed steel, grease, then add a whole bunch of water to it all. Keeps the service repair business humming along.
Hi Eric,

I have the Bright Star Audio "Big Rock for TNT" sandbox/air bladder combo. After some experimentation, I chose not to use the air bladder in my rig. My house is build on concrete slab and I have the VPI/Firestone air bladders in the TNT corner columns (feet). Your results may be entirely different.

Also, I ended up with my TNT sitting on a corian piece with the corian sitting on top of the edges of the sandbox (not bedded on sand). VPI motor is bedded on sand. You can see pics on my virtual systems page if you wish.

Hard to predict what what will ultimately work best for you. Just experiment with and without air bladder and also creative combos of slabs and placements. Fun, fun! You are in for a treat my friend!

Best to you,
Dave
Dear @dlcockrum :  The main and critical subject to add a pair of  self powered subwoofers integrated in true stereo fashion ( this is that the main speakers will function as " satelite " ones. ) is to lower significatively the INTERMODULATION DISTORTION and THD too.

In those all times from where comes your speakers and mine almost no single designer ( as JT. ) was thinking on designs with integrated subs, maybe only ATC was marketing active speakers as a ATC philosophy and not necessary with suibs.

Today the best speakers comes with integrated powered subs ( Vandersteen 7 is one of them but many more out there. ) for that critical subject.

In your speakers those two small woofers ( that can even one 12". ) are handling frequencies from  over 100 hz ( first order filter. ) don 20 hz . Are so small that can't really " drive "  in the right way bass range from 40 hz and down and this means high distortions but at the same time those drivers are trying to " drive " 25 hz-30hz-40 hz-80 hz- etc and the high excursion of the drivers because the low frecuencies affect e increment a lot the IMD in the whole frequency range of those drivers.

"""   it concerns me regarding tampering with Jim Thiel’s ingenius 1st-order crossover... """

No, you can't do that but only an outstanding overall improvement that you don't have today, you just can't imagine till you do it and listen it. The whole subject is not to reinforce the low bass but put at minimum that elusive IMD/THD in the very hard to handle low bass range, benfits as better quality bass performance is only a side benefit.

Problem in your system are the RELs that has not ( no sense to me. ) a high pass control. Rels are very good as system bass reinforcement but not to really help to have a better quality overall performance.

When I posted the thread in the link I send to you almost no one believe on what I posted there. This already changed today and not only music lovers as all of us but speaker manufacturers that now knows not only about that IMD/THD but that exist no passive drivers that can handle with aplomb the low bass range and not only does not exist but that are not mated with a dedicated amplifier that match the drivers needs in exactly and precise way.

Even speakers as the big Wilson can has a real benefit ( incredible. ) if their woofers been active instead passive.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
@dlcockrum : The external crossover we need to do that could be only for the subs but not use that croosver for the speakers main amplifier where a technician can easily to make the first order high pass down at the amplifier inputs through a cap and resistor combination calculated for a 80 hz high pass filter.

As me you can use a top teflon cap and the best Vishay nude resistor, both extremely transparent. In this way the signal inside your speakers will stay almost untouched.

Why 80 hz or even a little higher as 100 hz instead 50 hz?, because that first order Thiel croosover where the single 8" woofer that handles a frequency range from 50 hz to 400 hz ( I think. ? ) right now is taken frequencies way lower than 50 hz and with higher IMD/THD that if you liberate it.
In the other side your amp will works with lower distress that's mean lower distortions too.

Advantages are many only  we just do it. Believe you don't now today the real capacities of your very nice audio system and you will be " surprised " for say the least when you listen it in that configuration.

Regards and enkoy the music,
R.