Best Sounding Computer Audio Player For PC

I have been using Foobar2000 to play computer audio through my DAC. It is simple and straight forward. But I am wondering if there is a better sounding players out there. I tried JRiver and thought the sound was slightly better. But JRiver is designed for not only music but video and well as photos. There is a lot of overhead that I really don't need or want.

So what other audio players have better sound than Foobar2000?
128x128lostbears
PCs are too noisy for proper sound. You can pick up a decent second hand macbook with an ssd drive on ebay for less than $800, install Audirvana Plus for $75, connect your dac, and you have a superb standalone music player for less than a grand. The software comes with a pdf explaining how to optimise your laptop for best sound. Basically you want to run it off battery power, use the correct usb port, set Audirvana preferences so that you're in Type One Integer Mode, then fiddle with the computer's main volume so that you can max out the volume on Audirvana. I run the dac straight into a power amp and it sounds incredible.
I tried PureMusic and Amarra as well: They both sound great but I prefer Audirvana by quite some margin.

Avoid iTunes at all costs. It sounds horrific. Just. Just awful.
@lostbears It's good that your NAS isn't in the same room as your audio system; that's the best place for it. If you can run a long CAT ethernet cable into the listening that is ideal. If not, you can use adapters that plug into AC outlets in both rooms and send the signal from router to audio room where you'd plug a an ethernet cable from the plugged in adapter to the microRendu. Other options include wifi receivers that have ethernet outputs and many brand new routers that come as 3 or more pieces to "spread your router" and wifi signal more evenly thru the house. Anything that has a standard RJ45 ethernet output and you will be in business.
As far as DAC, most are not a problem, and regarding special drivers, you can post on the Sonore Forum on computeraudiophile and Jesus from Sonore( who posts there daily) will address the issue, even working with the manufacturers if they need to write a special compatible driver. For a handful of exotic DACs these issues have already been conquered thanks to other buyers, but most of the time it isn't an issue at all. Ask Jesus telling him about your specific DAC.

Lastly, in my firsthand experience, everything suggested by @uberdine is bettered by a mile with the NAS & microRendu and at a lower cost. I used Mac, A+ in standalone integer mode for years and tested the others mentioned. It was fine and better than most full computer solutions, but the microRendu is in a completely different league and is more intuitive & less buggy in terms of user interface(especially for visitors) and more reliable without library indexing issues, crashes, etc. common to Audirvana+. Cheers,
Spencer

I agree fully with sbank. I am also using the Microrendu in my system, and find it to be sonically superior to running the music through a PC or Mac. A fantastic solution for my digital audio needs for under $700. Save your money and spend it on a good DAC. You can continue to use your JRiver program with the Microrendu as well.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the Microrendu and I think it might be the way to go. But, I have an Audio Research DAC8 so I need to use a USB to SPDIF or AES converter. Supposedly the DAC 8 sounds best using AES or SPDIF instead of USB anyway. There is a multitude of choices for USB converters and some have a higher sound quality than others. I am not sure which one would be a good choice..Ideally I would like one that is Linux compatible. Why doesn’t the Microrendu have a SPDIF or AES out?

Second, is there a wireless option I can use with the Microrendu? Both my router and NAS are on a different floor. Running a cable is just not an option for me. Thanks!

lostbears,

The Dac8 is better via AES. I also use Foobar with the DSD plugin, then Fire Wire to a Weiss INT202 interface then AES to the Dac8 this provides me with bit perfect checking and remote volume control. The Dac8 runs direct to the power amps.

This arrangement bettered the USB connection, for me Fidelizer is next and maybe Dirac.