Your first component that was "special"

I got into hifi 40 years ago. I had a Pioneer receiver, Kenwood table, various entry level cartridges (ADC, Stanton, Empire) and Studio Design speakers. I wound up buying a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. That was the first piece of gear I bought that was way beyond ordinary. I had kept the cartridge until about 2o years ago- I sold it because by then no decent replacement stylus was available. Wish I still had it.

128x128zavato
Coincident Frankenstein MK II SET amplifier. Despite the really fine power amplifiers I’d previously owned, the Frankenstein was a profound step upwards in home music reproduction and involvement. A true "breath of life " experience. 
Charles, 
Back in University days ...the early 70's...

These were the REALLY OLD days in audio with the sudden new introduction of bookshelf speakers and mass-produced receivers for the cohorts of boomers off to college.

COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING TO TODAY's OFFERING  ....is this "OLD" with matched "Old Technology" ?

.... you betcha .....
(1) the college schoolbook photos consisted of crude drawings in a prehistoric cave wall in France;
(2) the college prom theme was "Fire", and
(3) the girlfriend's birthstone was "Lava".

I  sequentially moved up from a SONY receiver/ Garrard turntable / and either EPI / DYNACO bookshelf speakers to a new MARANTZ 2245 receiver, new ELAC Miracord table with a new SHURE V15 cartridge  and new JBL L100 "monitor" speakers.

FOR THEIR TIME (emphasis added) these JBL speakers with their "California sound" and roller-coaster spiked sine-curve frequency response  for treble, midrange, and bass bands were the cat's ass with this rig that rocked the college dorm.

My misspent youth nostalgia aside, it is patently obvious now that none of this "vintage" gear can even compete with today's gear.

But for its time,  it was fun and served its purpose in a college dorm arena of free-flowing beer and ethereal misty veil of Maui Wowee.....

At my age now, some days I am still dazzling, but on other days I can leave my car keys in the fridge.  Better still, why can I still faithfully remember the lyrics of the rock anthems from 1964 - 1974 but I cannot remember why I came into the room ....(sigh)

Over the years I have owned some pretty "Good" equipment. The one thing that stands out the most was simply Knowledge. Learning about component synergy, cable choices, room treatments, set-up etc. This has had a profound effect on my enjoyment of my system and music. More so  than any one product, although thy have slowly gotten progressively better/more expensive.