Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Easy, I know Wagner is a composer of genius, would never dispute that.
I still loathe him and his music.
There is no law you need to be consistent .
Wynton Marsalis -- At The Octoroon Balls-String Quartet No.1

I am surprised none of you 'progressive' folks have mentioned this one.

I am not sure what this is, but I like it. All the music was composed by Wynton Marsalis. This just adds to Wynton's reputation. The man can do anything musical.
Played by the Orion String Quartet.

Also included is "A Fiddler's Tale Suite". Sort of Marsalis' version, or his take on Stravinsky's "Soldiers Tale". Wynton plays trumpet on this piece, he does not play on "Octoroon Balls".
The complete Fiddler's Tale with narration is available on another Sony Disc.
Played by Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.

Not for everyone, but how can a Jazz / Classical Aficionado be without it? I feel it's historic. I loved it.

Outstanding Sound Quality. Interesting Notes. Check it out.

Cheers

Rok, I have all of those plus Philip Glass. No longer do I read reviews. I haven't made a mistake since I discovered "The tube", and everyone who contributes to this thread.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Good reviewers are hard to find. The best source I know of these days in 'The All Music Guide to Jazz'. It's out of print, but there is an internet site. I prefer the book. They can still be had at Amazon or other book sellers online.

My favorite reviewer there is Scott Yanow. We seem to be on the same wavelength. I assume all Jazz fans have this book, if not, get it!

The most important thing about AMG reviews, is that they state the type of Jazz the artist plays. So a 5-Star rating for a free Jazz album, would not interest me. Also nice short synopsis of each artist.

Back in the day I trusted a few guys at 'Stereo Review'. The Amazon reviews can be helpful, if there are enough so that you can seperate the serious from the idiots and the fans.

Listened to MJQ last night. "Fontessa" and "Django". Is there better Jazz for late night? They define sophistication!

Listening to Wes Montgomery now. "Full House" Live from a small club in Berkeley. With Miles' rhythm section. I have never heard Wes this way. They, the rhythm section, seem to bring out the best in everyone they play with. Remember Art Pepper? Johnny Griffin almost stole the show.

Begs the question, was it Miles or his Rhythm Section? :)

Cheers