best phono stage to mate with a London Decca Super Gold cart?

Greetings All!

I'm looking for recommendations for a phono stage to match with my Decca Super Gold cart.

I'm currently using the phono stage on my Doge 8 preamp which is OK, but not stellar. Table is a Roksan Xerxes with an upgraded RB300 arm (Incognito wiring and Audio Origami external cable).

I'm open to either S/S or tube.

Budget up to $1,500.

cheers,
Norm

nordicnorm
Yeah John, the K & K looks very interesting (as does the budget TRON). ARJ, the input resistance is easily changed with the installation of a 15k to 22k resistor on the inside of the phono amp, on the input jacks.
If you are attending RMAF I believe Dennis Fraker will be using a Trio to demo with.

If you can get a Herron VTPH-1 for $1500, nothing new or used in that price range will come anywhere close.  If you pick up a MC unit, Keith Herron will probably convert it to the proper gain as well as put in the latest mods.  Herron might even have a VTPH-1 taken as a trade that might be available.  The only way to be sure is to call.  In any case, Keith is always good for helpful conversation.

I got my VTPH-1mm directly from Keith. He had taken in a -1mc in trade on a VTPH-2, and offered to convert it to a -1mm for me. I told Keith I was using it with a London cartridge, and wanted as little gain and as much overhead as the amp was capable of. He put in two 12AX7’s and two 12AT7’s to lower the gain a couple of dB (that also provides a little more headroom in the circuit), and installed 15k resistance and 220pF capacitance at my request. He also sent along another pair of the tubes providing 2dB more gain. Whatta guy!

I got the VTPH-1mm before I heard of the K&K, but checked it out once I had. It looks real good, and if I hadn’t gotten the Herron I would have gone for a K&K. Definitely worth looking into. The TRON Convergence I investigated as well, but couldn’t get as much a "feel" for from the website. The fact that topoxforddoc (see above) has the good taste and refined sensibilities :-) of a long-time Decca devotee, and highly recommends the TRON, makes it a must-check-out imo.

No matter what phono amp you get, with your Super Gold you are getting the most dynamic, immediate, "live" sound from your LP’s as is currently possible! Is your SG mounted on a Deccapod? If not, John Wright will do it to yours if you send it to him. I ordered my London SG with the Pod already installed, and it is a HUGE improvement over the old Decca top plate and mounting system.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! There was a wealth of information shared.

For those who are still following along, I opted for a (new) Croft RIAA phono stage. This stage seems to be well suited to the Super Gold.

I'll post an update once I have it up and running.

cheers,