mc cartridge loading

I currently load an Audio Technica ART9 at 90 ohms, the load 'inherited' from another cartridge, am pleased with the sound but recognize the manufacturer's recommendation that at least 100 ohms be used.  Changing load requires opening the phono-amplifier case, somewhat tedious.   Is increasing the resistance (decreasing the load) worth the effort?
seventies

There is a kind of rule which state '' 10x the cart impedance value''.

I like such kinds of rules because they provide a kind of orientation.

I don't like quessing with my ears because one is never sure while

this uncertainty lead away from our primary goal: listen to the

music.

Jonathan Carr, the designer of Lyra cartridges says much the same thing as Atmasphere--loading is only needed with some phonostage which overload when presented with RFI. 

I have found that with most high quality phonostages, not much more loading than the typical, built-in 47k ohm loading is needed.  I once helped with a setup involving a Hovland preamp.  There was obvious RFI interference (noise) even when the tonearm was sitting on its rest and not playing (external RFI).  It turned out that the "default" loading on the Hovland was 100k and that just switching to 47k cured the problem.

The problem with a simple rule like 10X is that it will simply be wrong under certain circumstances.  I have a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge which has an extremely low source impedance of 1 ohm; the 10X rule would mean an extreme amount of loading at 10 ohms.  Because it is a quite low output cartridge, that amount of loading would throw away a significant amount of signal and would mean, in my system, not enough gain.  Also, a lot of loading does affect tonal balance--it substantially reduces the top end; I paid a lot of money for the kind of open and extended top end that good MC deliver and that would go to waste with this kind of loading.  This rule is also not very useful when it is applied in the case of using a step up transformer where one has to consider where the loading is applied--on the primary side of the transformer or the secondary side?

The best approach is to try different loading to see what sounds best.  If one is not so inclined, stick with a modest amount of loading that would work reasonably well under most circumstances, something in the range of 100-150 ohms--that would cure any RFI issues and is not so much loading that high frequencies would be severely attenuated.

The rules in audio are like the rules in economics.  Everyone likes to believe they have the answers but the outcome varies because we Do Not know all the variables.

In regards to your ears not being the ultimate test well that is exactly what they are.  You have to listen to it.  We can argue who can hear and who can not.  We can also argue with tradeoffs involved where are your priorities but these goals will only be met by using your ears.

Never looked at a sine wave on my scope and started dancing.  The one size fits all in audio is Well optimistic!!!  I build all my own gear so I am lucky. I can change everything around a million different ways.  I do not have to show the bean counters where the profit is or explain why I went down this dead end road.

So the moral of the story for the original post is the Only way he is going to know in his system is to experiment with different resistor types and values.  Then listen.  If that 2 dollar resistor puts a smile on his face who cares if it is real or in his head.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
The 10X Rule is important mostly for achieving a flat frequency response within the audio frequency range (up to 20kHz), when two amplifying elements (e.g., preamplifier and amplifier, CDP and preamplifier line input) are in tandem; the input impedance of the driven stage ought to be AT LEAST 10X the value of the output Z of the preceding stage.  But this is only a rule of thumb. Even at a 10X ratio, the math tells us that there would be a small loss of signal voltage at frequencies nearing and beyond 20kHz.  In the case where the driver is a phono cartridge, which is also a transducer subject to inherent nonlinear behavior, the situation becomes more complex.  So, I agree that probably one should not go lower than a 10X ratio between the internal resistance of a phono cartridge and the input resistance of the phono stage, but a higher ratio can be better and usually is, at least where phono cartridges are concerned.  However, I have read on-line many times that a ratio lower than 10X is subjectively preferred by some of us, with some cartridges.  This seems to be true of the Denon DL103, for one example.  (I don't own one.)  

My preamplifier is an Atma-sphere MP1, and now that I have set it up so as to be able to switch easily between 100R, 1000R, and 47K, I find that I most of the time prefer 47K.  This gives a more "open" and richer treble, for want of a better vocabulary to describe it, but the difference between 47K and 1000R is subtle.

Do you listen to the music? Are you crazy? Have you any idea

about variables involved? I am , of course, still adjusting ...