Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
@hifiman5 ......thanks much for the advice.  After many trials and errors, Vandersteen is where I'm heading.  I think lots of it has to do with the first order crossover, etc.. ( prior Thiel owner ).  Also, I like Richards approach to design.  It just seems to me to be no nonsense genius without the idiosyncrasies.

I really like your system, having owned McCormack and CJ myself in the past.  Congrats on your certificate!  Regards........

I am following this thread with interest because I am considering both the Treo CT and the Quatro CT.  I have an older REL sub that I have been using with various stand mount monitors over the past 15 years.  I have been totally pleased with this sub setup and am considering the Treo/REL combo vs the Quatro. I know there is debate between the REL sub recommended hookup method vs Richard Vandersteen's.  I understand the merits of both approaches and that is not really the point of my post. Assuming I keep the REL sub and let the Treo run full range is it likely that the quality and amount of bass will be on a par with the Quatro and its built in sub?
@carmenc Speakers can be tough decisions as there are countless well and less well known brands out there.  Vandersteens never disappoint musically.  Even the modest Model 1s are amazing.  I strongly encourage you to go with the Treo CT.  I will say the carbon tweeter takes a lot of time to fully break in.  When it does, well recorded cymbals take on the brassiness and the correct timbre.  Was listening to a Mapleshade jazz CD the other day and you could hear the drummer transition between a larger ride to a smaller ride cymbal because of the change in timbre between the two.  Wow.  If you like listening to the finest of details like that you will be enthralled.  Another thing..., No metal in the tweeter means no ringing.  I never realized how much of that can come from even the finest of metal domes until I heard its absence.  The depths of the soundstage are illuminated.  Its like a pristinely clean window.
Hi hifiman.....thanks much for your advice/insight.  That's my decision now, to purchase a pair of Treos with the metal dome at a good price or save more and opt for the CT.  The metal dome Treos are a mint pair of trade ins in a color I really like.  I could enjoy those for awhile and then trade them in for some CT to live with for the long run.  Good decision to have.  Also need to add a better front end like your Marantz.

Will keep you posted.  Take care!

Carmenc, you have an email and PM, lol.  Let's talk about the Treo's I'm selling.  Hifiman shared the biggest difference.  Richards ceramic tweeter coating has done a great job at stopping most of the ringing, but the CT is better and that's why it costs so much more to make, sell and replace.  Only you can figure out if it's worth the extra cost or not.