Looking for my first tube amplifier, help appreciated.

Greetings everybody, old school audio gear head here just deciding to begin the search for my first tube amplifier. I am running a Denon DN-A7100 preamp (xlr outputs), a Rotel RB981 on my Chane A3rx-c mains (8 ohm speakers crossed at 80hz), NAD 216 THX bridged on my JL Audio 13w3v3 8 ohm subwoofer in a sealed enclosure (also crossed at 80hz by the Denon).

I have over 300 gigs of wave file CD audio and enjoy everything from new rock to the Beatles.

I am looking to upgrade my system, of course one piece at a time, and really want to start with a tube amp. As a former guitarist I am a big fan of tube amplification so want to give it a whirl on my home stereo.

I was looking at the Audio Research VS60 but it doesn’t have XLR inputs. I enjoy high volumes so am trying to go with as much power as I can for my hard earned dollar. Yes, if money was no object I would drop 10k on a class A monster but that’s not gonna happen lol.

So I am hoping for some recommendations for a reliable and great sounding tube amplifier that has AT LEAST 50w per channel, has XLR inputs and is priced under $2000 on the used market. All recommendations are appreciated, thanks so much! Mike

128x128growboxguy

This is the first I have heard of matching preamp out to the amp input. Here are my preamp specs, any input is appreciated...

Post removed 

Input sensitivity/impedance (volume at 0db)

(RCA connections)     220mV/20 ohms

(XLR) +4dBu   440 mV/20kohms

-10dBV   110 mV/20 kohms

Output Level volume at 0db

(+4dBu)   300 mVrms typ.

(-10dbV)   75 mVrms typ.

The spec you are looking for is the output impedance of your pre. The input impedance of a audio device (in this case the amplifier) should be at least 10x (some say 20x) that of the device feeding it (your pre). 

Given your budget, I am with mattmiller in the suggestion of considering an integrated. 

As steakster indicated, research the compatibility of your speakers with tube amplification regarding impedance curve. Most 8 ohm speakers dip below 4 ohms somewhere in the lower frequencies. 

If you're going to upgrade your whole system you should start with the speakers as they will largely dictate what your amp choices are.