How loud in DB, Is "cranking it"

Gents;

i just just got a new amp and was Playing my 87 db efficient speakers( Thiel)

My speakers 8 ft apart and I sit 9ft back

I was just playing my amp at "30 watts class A" and I heard 97 db at listening seat.
I normally listen at 70-75 db

I was told the Xa30.5 might not have enough power! In my questions to Audiogon

To me it's WAY more than I need......no issues here. If my amp is considered underpowered, You guys must be nuts!!
lol

So; the question:. 

How loud is " crankin it" for you guys
and
How loud do you normally listen?

frozentundra
Your amplifier is capable of over 150 watts @ 8 ohms as it has an additional 120 watts (class B) of headroom.

It would have even more headroom (> 150 watts) pushing your Thiels.

Depending on how fast the meter is you may not even notice the amp spiking into class B to cover transients.

I listen in the 70’s with peaks in the 80’s (higher dB’s trigger migraines).

I’m just getting over a headache that started yesterday afternoon (spent an hour waiting @ our local Apple Store for a tech to fix my wife’s iPod).
On a properly set up system, you can (and, I do) listen as high a volume level as you want.  I listen at concert levels and it is not deafening.  Nice, detailed, dynamic and definitely CRANKED but musical, not loud.  Noise is loud.  Loud, to me, is not a pleasant adjective.  
frozentundra - 
My seated distance to speakers is similar to yours.  
Loud to me is 85 - 90 dB; over 90 db seems very loud.
Normal listening levels are in the range of 80 - 85 db using a Radio Shack SPL Meter set to Slow response and  'C' weighting.  See link for anyone unfamiliar with it.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc72/72441.pdf