What's the deal with idler turntables and do they have a place in modern HiFi?

After going through a complete overhaul of an AR XA I've been tempted to take a step further back in history and restore an old Rek-O-Kut idler turntable. Can't remember the particular model number from Craigslist, but it seems like it may be an interesting project and far more customizable than the XA, especially when it come to the tonearm. The one I'm looking at comes with the original tonearm, but my guess is that it's even more garbage than the stock XA 'arm and I'd certainly replace it!

However, I don't generally become invested in something if it doesn't pay off. So if the sound is going to be dreadful because it's an idler, then I'll steer clear. But if the sound is bitchin' then I'll jump on the opportunity!
128x128mjperry96
Hello Thom,
I appreciate your intelligent and honest response. You are right regarding the different types of turntable drive approaches. Be it idler arm, belt or direct drive, each has its strengths and flaws. I wish you much success with your Eiger turntable.
Charles,
Vintage idler wheel drive turntable (Thorens 124, Garrard 301 and 401, Lenco) enthusiasts (including Art Dudley) cite the design's "forward momentum"/"rythmik drive" sound characteristic, supposedly a result of the high torque nature of idler wheel drive.

bdp24,

As I stated above, I don't know why the idler tables I heard have the kind of "drive" that they do have, but, I suspect it has to do with the high torque motors employed.  I have heard the same sort of sound from the three motor Audio Note table and it is a belt drive table, but, it employs three massive motors, each of which supposedly is a 2 hp motor (three massive power supplies are also used to power the motors).

It would be interesting to hear what a modern idler table sounds like.  I would love to hear the Galibier table.