Do they make a quiet great sounding phono pre amp??

Hi, I have purchased and listened to 3 phono preamps which are: A musical surroundings phonomena, musical surroundings Nova II, and a Manley labs Chinook. The Manely labs Chinook is by far bettter sounding then the first two (double the cost too). But, All three have given me nothing but trouble (noise,noise,noise even terrible clipped signals!), and 2 of them basically failed on me. So before I go DIGITAL, can someone please tell me who makes a phono preamp in the $2,000-$3,000 range (tube or solid state) that I can rely on, and sounds as good or better than the Chinook?? Thanks.

Matt M                                             
128x128mattmiller
There is an Einstein Balance Turntables Choice phono pre for sale here for $3995, new they are $10,000. Slightly over of your budget but you would never need to upgrade again. I have no affiliation with seller but use a lower model Einstein phono with Aesthetix tube pre and amps and love the combination.
If the choice comes down to the Allnic H-1201 vs. the Herron or one of the other phono stages that have been suggested, a point that may be worth considering is that the design of the H-1201’s transformer-based input stage (for LOMCs) does not provide much flexibility in terms of resistive loading.

The H-1201 manual indicates that each of the four gain settings it provides for LOMC cartridges presents the cartridge with a specific load impedance that is not adjustable by the user. From the information provided I calculate those values to be approximately as follows:

62 db overall gain: 280 ohms
66 db overall gain: 120 ohms
68 db overall gain: 70 ohms
72 db overall gain: 30 ohms

(The overall gain numbers might each be 2 db lower than those values, as the specs appear to be a bit inconsistent).

The Herron provides a pair of RCA jacks on its rear panel for connection of external loading plugs, which Keith can supply in any value. Although he suggests that connecting nothing to those jacks, which will result in its FET-based input stage presenting a nearly infinite number of ohms to the cartridge (i.e., no load), is often optimal in the case of the VTPH-2.

In past threads Jonathan Carr (Lyra cartridge designer), Atmasphere, and perhaps others have stated that light loading of an LOMC cartridge (i.e., a high number of ohms) will generally tend to enhance dynamics and provide other sonic benefits, UNLESS a lower value is necessary as a result of phono stage sensitivity to energy at RF frequencies that an LOMC can generate. The Herron apparently has no such sensitivity, that would have audible consequences.

Hope that helps. Regards,
-- Al

What kind of noise? RF? 
The quietest phone-pre I've used has been the Sutherland battery powered units.
Good luck.

Here's a SS unit that's well reviewed and within your budget:  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/phono-sutherland-20-20-mc-mm-phono-pre-solid-state-quite-dynamic-w...  I looked at it very hard and was favorably impressed before I decided to go with an integral rig.  Might be worth an audition for you.

Good luck & happy listening!

Dear @mattmiller: From some years now tubes are not the right, precise and best technology for Phono Stages. That technology has several limitations to make the cartridge shines.

SS technology improved a lot in all those years and today is the best way to go with LOMC cartridges.

The Klyne @jmcgrogan2 advice outperforms any other single PS name it in this thread but it's not easy to find out second hand and new is very expensive.
So, the other SS options as Simm Audio, Parasound, Liberty, etc. could be better for you regarding $$$ but the Klyne is very hard to beat.

I hope you own enough LPs and the time, know-how and patience to fine tune your audio system to the analog experience and if not then is better to go for the digital one that today has nothing to envy to the  LP.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.