Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Hey, I know that name! Von Gaylord makes those cool liquid filled tube amplifiers, right?

Nyame,
The "For Duke" recording was often cited as a reference standard by many reviewers in the early 1990s but I have not heard it.  What you say about the LINN is true and it was a standard bearer for generations,  yet I still found the Well Tempered table better in my system. 

My familiarity with Von Gaylord is through their highly regarded line of amplifiers and preamplifiers.  I wasn't aware of their cables until Frank mentioned them in this thread. 
Charles, 
Nyame ...

I have the "For Duke" album. Its a sock knocker-offer. :-)  

On the Linn turntable:  The first time I heard one was at an audio store in Van Nuys, CA.  There was a tech there who modified Dyna MKIII mono amps and Dyna PAS pre amps. His name was Michael Frazier.  He knew how to eke magic out of those Dyna products. Anyway, he had a setup consisting of his electronics, a pair of little Linn "Kan" speakers and the Linn turntable. Michael and I sat there after the store closed for a couple of hours just immersed in great jazz. I still remember one recording featuring John Coltrane that put Coltrane's tenor sax right there in the room. It was amazing. 

On the Von Gaylord cables ...

What I look for mainly in an audio system is a natural sound to the instruments.  If the instruments aren't tonally correct, what's the point? I've heard systems costing in excess of 100K that don't get this part right. 

While attending audio shows, I always seek out systems/products that get the tones right --- the rooms that play music. That's what drew me to the Linn demo rooms in years past.

Well, this past June, at the Newport show, My friend Robert and I spent time, as we always do, in the Harbeth demo room listening to their great 40.2's.  That was one of the best rooms at the show from a natural sounding standpoint. The Harbeth speakers are truly great in this regard. I could listen to them for hours on end.

After the Harbeth room, my friend Robert and I wandered into the Von Gaylord room. It was just the two of us and the designer Ray Leung. Here, we had just left the Harbeth room listening to the 40.2's at $16,000 a pair, and walked into a room with small speakers costing $6,000 a pair making music at least as good if not better than the big Harbeth's. We couldn't tear ourselves away from Ray's room. It was that good.  The speakers, electronics and cables are all Ray's designs.

After the show, I tried one pair of Ray's IC's. They went between my turntable and phono stage.  That's all it took. I was hooked. So, now there's another pair of Von Gaylord IC's (balanced) between the amp and preamp. A pair of Von Gaylord bi-wired speaker cables are in the system now too. All of these cables replaced some highly regarded cables in their own right. The improvements attained with Ray's cables are, in a word, stunning. Highly recommended. 

Here's a link to Ray's Von Gaylord site:  http://vongaylordaudio.com/beta/

If you take the time to talk with Ray, you'll find him to be a perfect gentleman with a ton of patients.  Check out the reviews. 

OP
"...If you take the time to talk with Ray, you'll find him to be a perfect gentleman with a ton of patients."

I'm not sure it's fair to refer to his customers as his patients, on the other hand....

;-)

charles1dad

It was in the very early 1980s that I heard the LINN. I was not involved in our lovely hobby during the years 1986 through 2000 due to work and going back to school.I did not return to the hobby until 2001 when I began assembling  a modest multi channel  receiver based system. I was not able to enjoy listening to music on this system so in 2003 I decided to build a modest, but musical, two channel system, which morphed into the system I now have.

During this long period of inactivity I gave away all my LPs (about 300) and equipment (Quad Electrostatic loudspeakers, home built mono-block  power amps, home built pre-amp etc). It was a fantastic system.Each  mono-block consisted of 4 items : Left power amp, right power amp, left power supply and right power supply. The amp was rated at 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms, 200 watts per channel into 2 ohms AND 400 watts per channel into 1 ohm. It was in fact a 400 watt per channel amplifier that produced its maximum power into one ohm. It was developed to power the Quads which could not handle high voltage. The electrostatics panels would arc if exposed to more that about 45 volts. For best fidelity no protection of any kind was used. I used a thin wire to short its outputs and it simply burnt the wire. Each amp used eight 
250 watt bipolar transistors per channel in the output stage. It outperformed every amplifier it was compared to, including the Krell.

The pre-amp was built the same way. Left preamp, left power supply, right preamp, right power supply. It used FETs in the input stage and each power supply was what one would expect to find in a small power amp.

I gave away all my equipment to friends. I could not bear to sell them. They were too precious to sell.