What in the world is going on.....

My system cost about 75000 dollars or so.  I got the rave review LP of the new Paul Simon album.....sounded pretty lousy.  I listened to the included M3P download using AirPlay through my Denon receiver and Senheisser wireless earphones, and it sounded wonderful......   What in the world is that all about....
128x128stringreen

I've got a couple of early press Simon LP's. One Trick Pony, and I believe S/T. The latter has Me and Julio....by the Schoolyard. These are really great sounding records, particularly OTP. I believe BOTH are Sterling Sound mastered. First of all, I will admit to being a Michael Fremer fan. What he's doing for the vinyl revolution is great. He is not afraid to tell you how he feels, for better or worse. Another album he gave a 10 for sound was The Band: Music from the Big Pink. I bought that one, with medium-high expectation, and was let down. This may be a case of what was never a good recording, made as good as it can be. Besides that, I'm not so sure what to think. We all have our days, and of course our systems can have a bad or good day, depending on power quality or what have you.... That said, Mr. Fremer has certainly hit some home runs. 

fjn- if it is the MoFi re-do of Big Pink, try turning up the volume. That record was cut with really low gain. There are a few threads on this on the Hoffman board. I have a copy, but haven't played it in some time. 

"Songs from the Capeman", is the last great album by Paul, however, it was and one that flopped as a Broadway show.  The song writing is excellent, the album has a fantastic flow to it and the sound is very good. 

I'm also a very big fan of "One Trick Pony".

One problem with his recent album is that it was recorded too hot, which can cause all kind of issues with the cutter head. 
I own Stereophile Class-A equipments. The Stereophile recommended disks sound great, but most of my other favorite music sound OK, or sound horrible with my B&W 800D... A friend of mine told me it's nothing unusual.