Audio Research Reference 6 Preamp Review

128x128elem79
Oregonpapa

The REF 75SE is an awesome amplifier! I also over time worked my way through the refrenece line and felt each component offered a definite improvement over the last.

The reference 6 is my first new ARC product, I usually by used through Agon, but couldn't pass on an opportunity I had to purchase one new.

While ARC says it does take 600 hours to fully break in, right out of the box it sounded awesome! I've got about 400 hours now on it and a GS150 power amp and I'm absolutely in heaven!

Ill take tubes over solid state in my system every time! 
The Ref 6 is simply an amazing preamp.  Yes, sorry to say it to the "they keep coming out with new models all the time" crowd but it is a quantum leap over the Ref5se.  And yes, I did say that about the improvement the 5se made over the 5.  I did not say it about a 5 over a 3.  That was a mild improvement, not a big deal.  
So before someone says "just wait for the Ref7", yes, I would expect it to be an improvement again, and will likely buy one.  But for now, this is by far the best preamp I have heard.  It makes all my gear sound better, and records sound incredible.  

elem79, what is your opinion about SP-20?  There are couple of them on sale. I can't afford to buy a new Ref 6, so I am eying on LS28 or SP-20 to mate with my KWA150SE's.  

Did you by any chance audition LS28 before you bought Ref 6? 
Laltik, both seem like great preamps. Not knowing an awful lot about the SP-20 I would probably be more partial to the LS28.  I think that may be the sweeter of the the two based on some of the reviews I've read.  

I didn't get the chance to hear either.  I had a REF 5SE and loved it. When the REF 6 came out I thought it might be a better match for my GS150 and based my purchase of the 6 entirely on the strength of REF 5.