Audio Research Reference 6 Preamp Review

128x128elem79
terry9

Of course caps make a big difference, and ARC has used very good exotic caps since the 80s, in their equipment.

But only in the last 10 years did ARC preamps take 600 hours to break in. That is 10 months, at 2 hours per day, on average. Can you return the preamp if you do not like the end results?

Bill Johnson must be rolling over in his grave!

My first ARC piece was an SP-6.  Then I moved up to an SP-14 and a Classic 60. Then went into their ref products. Each step was a definite improvement. 

On the SS vs Tube ...  I've heard some really good solid state equipment over the years even owning some myself  One of the best rooms at the Newport show was the Harbeth room. They were using top of the line Naim SS electronics. But, when it comes to organic realism in my own home, I'll take tubes every time. 

The REF-75 and the REF-75se took 500 hours to completely break in. I felt the long process was worth the wait. 
Oregonpapa

The REF 75SE is an awesome amplifier! I also over time worked my way through the refrenece line and felt each component offered a definite improvement over the last.

The reference 6 is my first new ARC product, I usually by used through Agon, but couldn't pass on an opportunity I had to purchase one new.

While ARC says it does take 600 hours to fully break in, right out of the box it sounded awesome! I've got about 400 hours now on it and a GS150 power amp and I'm absolutely in heaven!

Ill take tubes over solid state in my system every time! 
The Ref 6 is simply an amazing preamp.  Yes, sorry to say it to the "they keep coming out with new models all the time" crowd but it is a quantum leap over the Ref5se.  And yes, I did say that about the improvement the 5se made over the 5.  I did not say it about a 5 over a 3.  That was a mild improvement, not a big deal.  
So before someone says "just wait for the Ref7", yes, I would expect it to be an improvement again, and will likely buy one.  But for now, this is by far the best preamp I have heard.  It makes all my gear sound better, and records sound incredible.