Loudspeakers have we really made that much progress since the 1930s?

Since I have a slight grasp on the history or loudspeaker design. And what is possible with modern. I do wonder if we have really made that much progress. I have access to some of the most modern transducers and design equipment. I also have  large collection of vintage.  I tend to spend the most time listening to my 1930 Shearer horns. For they do most things a good bit better than even the most advanced loudspeakers available. And I am not the only one to think so I have had a good num of designers retailers etc give them a listen. Sure weak points of the past are audible. These designs were meant to cover frequency ranges at the time. So adding a tweeter moves them up to modern performance. To me the tweeter has shown the most advancement in transducers but not so much the rest. Sure things are smaller but they really do not sound close to the Shearer.  http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/lmco/shearer.htm
128x128johnk
 I have to agree with Mapman ,having owned lots of vintage gear including speakers ( still own for investment only),,Altec/JBL/Jensen/Tannoy/Stephens and a couple pieces of Western Electric they are never my go to speakers.Id say most will never own highend vintage speakers and most I bet wouldn't want to if having the choice between that and say Magico,Kharma,Wilson,Raidho etc etc...I have no idea whats behind the technology and dont really care,they just sound better to me.
Mapman whats missing-  realistic sound quality, the ability to allow listener to feel the emotion of the music. The ability to easily hear the mix ie pick out the individual instruments and vocals along with the added studio work. Realistic image size and dynamic range.The at ease at any SPL the ability to sound wonderful out of sweet spot and through out home. Extreme lack of listening fatigue. A clear real sounding vocal ability the ability to do this all on massively low power. Extreme reliability and ease of service in field by owner. Today most all of this is missing and if present only a small part of it.
I also disagree. Vintage speakers of high efficiency really don't play bass right, they are less detailed and harsher due to breakups in the various drivers and they don't handle power well (are less reliable). So the statement above seems false on all counts.

A member I consider to be very knowledgeable with speakers often said something to the effect of "there have been no major advancements in loudspeaker design since the 1930s, other than making bad speakers sound better (i.e., direct radiators)." In other words, the best designs of that era would still sound as good as the best designs of today.  The statement sounds pretty far-fetched at first glance, but I think I tend to agree with him.

Take for example, the Klipschorn that was introduced in the 1940s.  That speaker with the same basic design is still made and sold today.  Match up a Klipschorn with the right upstream components and a good room, and the sound you get will be about as good as available at any price.  I have experienced this myself.
The design of the loudspeaker has sufficiently evolved so that we are allowed to bring them into the living room.
Atmasphere cant do bass right! Maybe wee ones dont but full sized sure do. Less detailed maybe if you dont add a tweeter keep in mind these designs were only good to 8khz. Dont handle power well! What the heck dude that one boggles my mind its so so wrong come visit so I can prove you wrong on all accounts lol.