Oppo BDP-83 SE vs McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe

Hi There,

Wanted to know if someone did A/B between Oppo 83 and McCormack UDP-1? Oppo 83 version (Reg or SE or Nuforce) VS McCormack UDP version (Reg or Deluxe).

My own feeling is, there is little sense in investing in a McCormack UDP in 2011, given Oppo 83 SE used could be had for about $700 (with BD support, FW upgrade, cust service etc. etc.).

But, wanted to confirm nonetheless, as I have McCormack DNA225 amp + RLD-1 pre (and there seems to be a good deal on UDP-1 Deluxe).

thanks,
Paul
paul2k7
To better define, main angle for comparison should be:
- music/SQ (CD, SACD, DVD-A) and NOT the movies/PQ.
- HDMI ease by itself is not so important, but SQ is.

Also, let's add "eSound E5 Platinum Edition" to the mix.

thanks!
The McCormack is nice and probably well built but the Oppo has newer and better DAC's as well as Bluray and online firmware upgrades.
I suggest you see if you can fit the Oppo into the McCormack chassis. ;-)

Kal
Paul :

I once owned almost the same system you describe above and can share some insight. In my case, a DNA-1 Rev A, MAP-1 and UDP-1 Deluxe with AQ and Cardas cabling.

It made for a nice combination - my aim at the time was to get synergy using components from the same manufacturer. My speakers were initially the Harbeth M30's and then Verity Parsifals.

Regarding the UDP-1 Deluxe, it is a very capable CD and SACD player from top to bottom. In some ways it is under-rated. I think the reviewers are spot on. If anything, it is more neutral and analytical but with nicely weighted bass low end. I recently replaced my UDP-1 Deluxe with a Sony 5400 with Upgrade Company mods, expecting the grass to be greener with a newer player. Let's just say that the Sony did not blow away the UDP-1 Deluxe, despite my pre-conceived ideas (probably based on media hype and talk that the modded Sony competes sonically with 10k players). It was fairly close but with some clear difference. Please note, both units were fully burned-in. I kept the Sony as I wanted to use the balanced output with my fully balanced tube integrated amp.

In terms of engineering and construction, I cannot imagine that the Oppo is in the same league.

Bottom line: i would not dismiss the UPD-1 Deluxe believing that the latest generation of cd/sacd players are sonically superior.

good luck,
peter
Thanks for chiming in guys! Looks like Rwwear, Kal are in BDP-83 camp

Kal, I think I hear you loud and clear (Oppo), but let's not mistake McCormack with Lexicon ;-)

Peter, thanks for sharing your Sony upgrade experience, I know a bit about "the other side grass greener thing" ;-). Our setups are very similar - my DNA225 is Rev.A+ as well! Its just that I have Oppo 83 SE and have not heard UDP-1 and a good opportunity seems to be on hand, to add it - if its SQ can hold against Oppo 83 SE.

A full McCormack stack, on rack will look nice, but not sufficient to jump into it. Most UDP-1 reviews I could find are pre BDP-83 days, so let's wait to hear from some who might have had 1st hand experience with both players.

thanks,
Paul