Five "Golden Rules" of HiFi?

Tough question, but if you had to list your 5 most important "Golden Rules" of hifi, from your own experiences, what would they be?
To start things off, mine would be:

1. Protect your hearing; without it, the rest is pointless.
2. Use a surge/overvoltage protection power board
3. Read lots of reviews and forums like this one
4. Don't buy secondhand speakers (bad experience!)
5. Never buy gear without listening to your own music through it.
carl109
1. Spend a lot of time performing room measurements (learn how to do it and buy good equipment/sofware), optimize room dimensions and treatment, optimize speaker positioning, optimize listening position, install dedicated power lines, power distribution. Major impact.

2. Get great speakers first, adequate for the type/range of music you like, then think about other components.

3. Don't trust dealers and reviewers (most of them are quite biased) and audiophiles who have a different musical focus/range.  ALWAYS try new equipment and cables in your own system. If you listen and think it is a step back in any way, even though a step forward in some ways, don't buy it. If you think the improvement is too small for the price, don't buy it.

4. Buy used (except cartridges), wait a while if necessary. 

5. Listen to great systems, go to the Munich High End Show, go listen to great audiophile rooms/systems, listen to live music.  So that you find out what you want and have clear references.

6.  Listen to lots of music end enjoy it.  After a certain point, the need to upgrade decreases dramatically because the music seems quite real.

(1) If one waits for a product that one deems relevant for one's system...waiting for that product to meet a price (low/used) point but will not benefit you in the long run. Buy it, enjoy. Life's short!
(2) Buy what you perceive is in your best interests. Whether it's used or not...waiting could be forever, buying sooner will be beneficial for your own benefit plus you'll have more chance to listen to great music reproduced better in your own home!
(3) Buy lots of music!
(4) Read a lot. Listen a lot. Make your own decisions based upon your own experience!

I forgot... I have one more...
(5) Learn how to listen, learn what to listen for. (Maybe the most important of all).
Biomimetic the trouble with headphones (for me and I assume others as well) is that you can't get a soundstage. The performers aren't performing in front of you, they are in your head!  While this may sound like a good thing, I can't get used to it as I don't find it natural.