Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Andynotadam

I cannot get to the the IEC without opening the box. When I do open the box I'll see how difficult it will be to get at the circuit boards. My user manual list the main fuse as 3.15ma but there is no mention of the values for the pcb mounted fuses. I interpret this to mean either they do not wish users to meddle around with the boards or that specialized tools are required.
OP asked..."I was wondering ,what electronics were you using with the Legacy speakers? All of my friends who have them, including myself, have found that they really come alive with tube amps."

Hi OP... When I had my Focus loudspeakers I was running them with a Music Reference RM-9 Mk.II power amp and a Music Reference RM-5 MkIII Tube Preamp.My digital source was an EAD transport and dac.
I most certainly enjoyed the combo but ended up hearing some Merlin VSM-MM’s.and as they say... the rest was history. I sold the Legacy’s and never looked back. Of course a lot has changed in the past 20 years too. 8^)
Oregonpapa

Neil Gader's review of the REL S5 in the Absolute Sound is very encouraging. I have no knowledge of this relatively new model. The price is very attractive at $2500. ( I paid $2645 for my B2 in 2008 ).

Neil Gader was the owner of a REL B3 for many years and is familiar with the brand. In my opinion he is one of the more credible magazine reviewers.

The S5 is one of the best looking subs I have ever seen.
Good luck!

nyame:

I saw the info somewhere in the last week or two, but don't have a link for you. It might have been in the long AVS REL thread. Maybe do a find search on B2 or fuse? My R-328 has a Class D amp and the stock fuse is 9 amps, so I used a 10A Black fuse. As others have suggested, I slightly up-rate aftermarket fuses after my BDP-2 instantly ate a Black fuse at the factory rating.

Oregonpapa

My previous post 6/3/16 remains valid. However last night I felt I should have another look at the G5 using factual criteria rather than relying on one writer's review. I kept wondering how REL could build a state of the art product, and sell it for $2500. Moreover I was uncomfortable about the of 70 pounds weight. Call me old fashioned but I cant help myself on this.

I visited REL's UK web site and I am glad I did. I now believe that, if I were buying a new REL sub for myself I would buy the G2 because it is much better value at $3500 than the S5 at $2500.

The most important factor is the S5 crossover frequency range is 30Hz to
90Hz. This disqualifies the S5 for your application. Your loudspeakers  
are full-range and extend down to about 22Hz. You need a sub that gives you the ability to cross over in the 20 to 30 Hz range. There is a lot of important acoustical and ambient information in the 16 to 30Hz range. ( not to mention pipe organ organ music). 

The stated frequency response of the G5 is -6db at 20hz and it drops like a stone because of the passive radiator design; at -24 db per octave. The G2 is -6db at 18Hz but more importantly its closed box design falls off at -12db per octave. This also plays havoc with the phase response of the G5.

The G2 comes with a remote. To be able to sit in your listening chair and make adjustments to volume, crossover frequency, and phase IN REAL TIME is easily worth the extra $1000.

The power amp in the G2 is a traditional class AB design rated at 450 watts
RMS. REL has been using this design in the reference quality products for many years with great success. The amp in the G5 is described as
Class D and has an output of 550 watts RMS.

Unless your listening environment is very large, I do not think the smaller 10" drive unit of the G2 is a disadvantage compared to the much larger 12" cone area of the G5.