Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa

Showing 34 responses by aolmrd1241

Bob,how can a fuse in your battery powered preamp have any effect on sound quality if the pre is off the ac grid? Are the fuses connected in the dc circuit somehow? 
koestner, I know Mike Farnsworth of past Talon Audio fame did just that with his personal Edge amps,replacing the cheap fuses with solid bar copper instead. He said it was a fantastic tweak that he loved and he never looked back. Of course you would do so at your own risk.
It seems to me that the SR reds are more in tune of being used in tube kit while maybe the AH fuse  beeswax/platinum would be better suited in SS. Any definitive answer or opinion would be much appreciated,I am very much intrigued by this particular tweak. Thanks.
If Quantum Tunneling [2,000,000 volts of electricity used to condition the fuse and end caps] is used in the manufacturing process of these fuses...how could any long term user burn-in affect break in ?

I would think with that much voltage, they would already be broken in,all things considered . I mean,that’s a lot of voltage to run through the fuse,which I believe is the reason that SR uses that technic to begin with.. i.e. to condition the components of the fuse.

I most certainly believe in component/accessory break in periods. I have heard this first hand myself over the years,time and time again. In some instances,the break in period would even go in another direction other than the one I was hoping for,before coming back around to where I thought it could/should be.

But,without any reservation, I also believe that a lot of what we hear can be based on how our mind works in tandem within the bounds of mood,and/or,emotion at the time of any given listening session. This mind set may or may not be in synch with our aural expectations. There have been times that my system sounded so wonderful that I thought it could not possibly get any better... Then there were times when I just wanted to toss the whole system into the street,and start anew.

We humans are a fickle bunch for sure,but I guess the bottom line is...whatever works best for you, and your needs, in your system, is ultimately the correct way of going about your audio business. What one feels works...or not... in ones own system, is what matters most...Not something that someone else’s expectation is...according to their own likes, and and dislikes...aurally speaking,of course.
Question? If AC changes direction 120 times per second or 60 cycles per second [60hz]... how then can a change in fuse orientation make a difference in sound quality if there is a constant cycle change in the flow of current? Am I missing something here?
Hi Charles,thanks for your reply. Don't get me wrong,I do appreciate this thread. I am just trying to soak it all in. How a single fuse can make so much of an impact on ones sound system is beyond my comprehension. But,I am here to learn...I want to thank everyone for their time. Please...carry on.

"Anyone wish to take a stab at other things aftermarket fuses do better than stock fuses? Thimk, thimk!"

I’m thimking, I’m thimking...Umm!!! Drain your wallet... Just had to say it...8^)

Sounds as if fuse rolling is morphing into what tube rolling has done for increased audio pleasure.Who would have ever thunk it...
"joncourage ... Contact SR. They will see that the dealer from whom you bought your fuses will refund your money. You won't be out any cash. But please, once its been resolved to your satisfaction, come back here and post the positive results."

Oregonpapa... Are you
affiliated with SR? That reply sure does seem like it.

Papa... If your looking for an fantastic tweak for your system look into a Akiko Audio - Triple AC Power Enhancer. They make tuning sticks in a few different versions,but the Triple would be a good place to start. Just plug it into your ac wall outlet that feeds your system or into your power conditioner and hold on to your hat...

It leaves me to wonder why a fuse [at 3/4 inches long!!!] that sells for $120.00 and a power cord that sells for $499.00 [at five feet long!!!] using the same materials and processes can be justified in SR's pricing scheme (And yes,I know its their call). I would think that a power cord using a substantial amount more materials and labor versus the minimal amount needed in the construction of a single fuse would validate a much lower fuse/price point cost ratio than the math indicates.

I am not dising  the merits of the fuses in question,just the huge disparity between the materials/cost needed in the construction of both products....8^O
benzman

"If you Buy the new black PC you receive a SR Black fuse for free.Same for the Red. Nice Deal."

SR sure knows how to up the ante. If I was not happy with the power cords I already own, I sure would be tempted...

Could the varying opinions in concern of the SR fuse sound have anything to do with a quality control issue? How and why these fuses can be so "hit or miss" would lead me to believe so. Maybe an SR rep could chime in here,adding some technical merit to the convo. At least it could clear up some thoughts on the matter of why there is such a sound discrepancy,especially when the fuses are being used in some same exact components.
I don’t buy the idea of perception. As experienced audiophiles,we live and breath this hobby. If such a huge group can hear a significant difference[including me] then I would say that the fuse is doing what it was intended to do by design. That leads me to think something 'could' be amiss in QC.

"OK, try this one for an experiment only, definitely not for long term for safety sake.

Make sure all is working fine and you grown used to how it sounds. Then remove the "red fuse" and bridge out he the fuse holder with some copper wire, you can even tack solder it on the outside of the fuse holder. It should sound the best, if anything at all.

Cheers George"

I tried this with a pure silver fuse replica that was highly polished. After A*B-ing a few times... my conclusion was... the SR black fuse was highly superior in every way.

mitch2..."Did you try reversing the direction of your wire? Maybe it was backward"

Yes. The reason for a*b ing a few times..

Where are the forum police when you need them? This back and forth bickering nonsense is getting way old... Guys,put a cap on it please and keep it on topic.
GK.... A humble scribe you say?  You have been called a lot of things,but I believe humble is not one of them... ; )

Peter,I can understand your concern. But rhetoric is what this hobby is based on. The next best, greatest, and cant live without tweak is always just around the corner. I can remember when power cord nay-sayers would have a connipshit about the evil rhetoric in concern of power cord/conditioner benefits. I believe that has been put to rest.

I use an SR black in my tube pre and I can say in all honesty that most of the rhetoric here is true. I say most,not all,because some posts are over the top in wishful thinking from my viewpoint. Its a fantastic tweak that does have worth in a revealing system. Of course ymmv. Give one a shot and see what all the hoopla is about...
Simple Definition of rhetoric...

1: language that is intended to influence people and that may not be honest or "reasonable".
2: the art or skill of speaking or writing formally and effectively especially as a way to "persuade or influence" people.

Number one is what audio forums thrive on,or any subjective forum for that matter.

Number two is how the audio rags of the world survive...to make money of course.

" That’s precisely why I have taken the steps to eliminate fuses from my system, actually to also eliminate and bypass the house AC entirely, as well as eliminate power cords, electrical ground, wall outlets, interconnects, transformers, large capacitors, crossover networks, room interactions, things of that nature."   

geoff. How do you eliminate all those things short of having an acoustical band/group playing for you...in your home, at your own whim? Please enlighten us.

"Let me turn the question around and ask you, how do you think I eliminate all those things? There is only one system I can think of that makes that possible."

geoff,enlighten me please... Is it a pure dc system? If so,please elaborate.

OP,I would upgrade the Legacy Sig III's first. I had the Legacy Focus back in the day. Although they were ok,they really were of a mid-fi sound quality.....you can do a lot better in today's speaker market for the money. 

OP asked..."I was wondering ,what electronics were you using with the Legacy speakers? All of my friends who have them, including myself, have found that they really come alive with tube amps."

Hi OP... When I had my Focus loudspeakers I was running them with a Music Reference RM-9 Mk.II power amp and a Music Reference RM-5 MkIII Tube Preamp.My digital source was an EAD transport and dac.
I most certainly enjoyed the combo but ended up hearing some Merlin VSM-MM’s.and as they say... the rest was history. I sold the Legacy’s and never looked back. Of course a lot has changed in the past 20 years too. 8^)
"I have wondered where SR bought their SR Black duplex. I did some googling and found a duplex that looks very similar. Hmmmm..."

Hmmmm indeed....
Geoff posted..."As much as I would like to take you up on your suggestion to try a DC fuse in lieu of an AC fuse of the same amp rating I am absolutely the wrong person for this task as my current system actually contains no fuses, nor any fuse holders, nor is any such thing necessary as my system is completely independent of house AC, a couple AA size batteries suffice."

Geoff. I asked you a while back to elaborate on your sysem.What exactly are you using at home? Thanks.

"’ll give you some hints. No house AC, no power cords, no Ground, no interconnects, no speaker cables, no fuses, no transformers. No problems."

Since you want me to guess... I guess..... a transistor radio or a Sony wallkman. Am I close?