Speakers for Rock - up to 1kusd

Hello everyone,
While I have been reading the forum for quite some time, this is my first post.

I have a modest audio set-up that I want to upgrade: Yamaha rxv 657, Infinity P253 and technics 1700 turntable. Just sold a Denon CD player that I need to replace too.

I want to start with the speakers. I listen exclusively rock music in a 4x7 square meter room.

Due to availability in my country, I wonder what would be the best speakers that 1 kusd could buy. My options are:

- BW 685 s2 (due to great reviews).
- Paradigm 20 
- Monitor Audio S6
- Dynaudio x14

Could consider/get Jamo 803 and Dali too.

I wish I could stretch to the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5.

What would be your recommendation, taking into account that most dealers do not have demos.

Thank you!

gustavos
Klipsch is the first word that comes to mind for rock music.  I owned the Quartet for many years, powered by different AV receivers.  They sound like what is now considered their vintage line, sounding like the speakers my friends had years ago (Cornwall, La Scala, Kornerhorn).  Quartet, Forte, and Chorus have a rear-facing passive radiator will have more room interaction issues, which can be a problem in the wrong room.  I can't speak to how suitable the newer models are for rock music.  Klipsch could be a good option with their high efficiency if matched correctly to your room size; and you could stay with lower-power (lower-current) amplification, including an AV receiver.  Depends on where you want to take your system and what you're trying to achieve.  What are your goals (expectations) with an upgrade?  Do you also plan on using your system for home theater, which could affect your amplifier choices?  I have a higher-end system now and really enjoy it, but it honestly doesn't rock out to the extent that my previous Klipsch system did.  Although I currently have British speakers and listen to some rock music, I think that Canadian and US companies have a different sonic goal, and that you may be happier with their voicing.  Do you have access to Polk Audio, Klipsch, and PSB?  (and Paradigm as you mentioned).  I would be curious what other PSB owners think of them for rock, as I've heard good things about them being good in this area; sounding fuller than others.
Many thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I've taken due notes. 

I have auditioned several books in the past few days: Monitor Audio Silver 6 (used floor standing, but the price was good), Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, klipsch, Dali, Focal 807 and the Paradigm Studio 20. Many of them coupled with a Yamaha as-2000 and CA 851. I was completely blown away by the Paradigm, clearly surpassing the rest in detail, soundstage, bass....it seems it has a superior tweeter too. Finish is top noch too. In general, I've found klipsch y Polk fatigating, with less detail and worse treble. The closet to the Studio were the Venere 1.5, imho (maybe they should be 1st choice for jazz). I still want to give the BE 685 s2 a try, due to the awards granted by What HiFi.

Unfortunately, in Argentina we do not have PSB, ATC, PMC and others top-notch names available. I did have the chance a month ago to chat with Miles Showell, engineering at Abbey Road and responsible for the latest reissues of some classic albums cut at 45 rpm...and he told me he had PMC speakers at home. So guess that a PMC 21 or 22 should be a serious option, requiring a higher budget too.

In the end, I am 95% certain to go with the Studios. Let's see if the BW make me change my mind.

As for the amp, I'd like to go with the Sansui au-717, which also have a very good phono stage and in general goes well with rock music. I'd not like a more laid-back amp. 

I will keep you updated with my final choice.

Many many thanks again to you all dor taking your time in giving your insights!

The PMC look nice, but as you say, at a greater price.
Did you ever contact Zu?
The Sansui is a bit long in the tooth, unless there are good audio repair stores in Argentina, I would consider something a bit more recent.
B&W make some really nice speakers, too. But I never associated them with Rock.
Yes, I have contacted an importer to bring the Zu, but shipping is really high.

Yes, in Argentina there are quite a lot highly regarded repair shop, as the vintage community is extensive. What other amplifier would you recommend? Arcam FMJ 19, for instance?

Thank you!
The idea that there are certain speakers that are good for rock is throughout this thread.

This is one of the biggest myths in the audio world! There is no design criteria that can be applied in such a way that a speaker can somehow be better at rock than other musical genres. The fact is if the speaker is good at one genre, it will be good at another.

To give you an idea of how pervasive this myth is, a few month back someone asked what speaker was better at mid-80s downtempo pop. How in the heck would a speaker know anything about 80s vs 70s or 90s?? Downtempo? Speakers don't care about the beat!

The requirements for rock are the same as they are for classical or folk or jazz: good dynamic range, ability to play bass, detail, lack of coloration.