What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
I too am finished, I think. I buy used gear, usually without hearing it first, so I have been through quite a few changes in equipment- solid state to tubes and back again. I found I like Dynaudio, bought some C1's for a great price, have a music server with some 200 gb of music and a turntable with a good phono pre. I also have a decent headphone setup. And my hearing isn't getting any better.

Hey Macrojack.. My daughter lived in Longmont, but the flood made her move to Superior. She brought me a Left Hand Brewery T shirt and 6 pack.
good stuff, though I'm a Sapporo/Dinkleacker guy. Colorado's beautiful. Impossible to take a bad picture. Just point and shoot and you have an award winner.
rippet - I'm in Fruita at the westernmost end of the state. It's post card country for sure. Being a long recovered alcoholic, I cannot offer opinions on the beer made here from personal experience so I can;t enter into conversations about specific products. 
We used to live just west of Boulder in 4 Mile Canyon. It was a ghost town, a former mining community that was known locally as Wallstreet. After we left it was devastated by the flood and a forest fire. Oddly, out cabin survived both, I hear.
Where are you?

Another point to consider on the widespread loss of business in audio could have to do with the carrot moving out beyond the vision of the horse. When the cost of the ultimate products was maybe 4 or 5 times what you were buying it was possible to dream - to aspire - to someday move up incrementally to that plateau. Of course, the target kept ahead of us even as we ascended but it remained in sight and we kept playing. Now with the ultimate stuff costing more than our house and cars combined, it isn't even within dream range to think about owning such stuff. 

Then consider a failed economy, potential medical induced bankruptcies, unanticipated forced retirements, student loans, offspring returning to the nest, disabling hearing loss, shifting interests, and despair. All of these effects serve to deplete our numbers. Oh yeah, one more. Death. All are good reasons to change your priorities and I would wager that few, if any, of us can say we know no one to whom one or more of these factors has come into play.

The outlook going forward is dismal. There are a lot of designers such as Rowland, Vandersteen, Pass, Modjeski, Berning, etc. who are aging out. They may continue until death or they may pack it in sooner. Bigger companies might continue on but will they have sufficient support from our ranks to keep them viable? I guess that's for us to say but this thread indicates that few of us will be participating much longer. Just enjoy it while it lasts and be glad for what you have and what you had. Tick tock.
This thread is beginning to sound like Outside. 

I am now 77 with hearing of a 35 year old, some forgetfulness, and the best damn sound I've ever had, basically well beyond anything I thought possible. I think all dealers of anything other than groceries, restaurants are doomed by the internet. Repair and service companies will prosper.

So few audiophiles get to hear a wide variety of audio gear. They can read reviews and see ads, of  course, but they are hardly definitive like hearing it yourself. And postings on the internet never result in any agreement about what is best. I have a circle of friends whose opinions I trust, but most have and ever diminishing opportunity to hear gear.

One thing I entirely agree with is that the used market is vanishing. I think that the major companies must be selling less and less of the market, so few have any listening experience with gear other than their own. This may indicate that innovation tends to be from small companies. I must say that I have not had any large company gear since an ARC Ref II bought years ago. I feel burglar proof as my gear would get anything in a pawnshop.

Finally I doubt if politics has anything to do with any of this. We are too small a part of the market. I know many very sincere individuals who have committed to quality products and most have very limited resources. Thanks, guys, please keep up the good work.
+1 macrojack, very well written post. I concur on all fronts.

I can no longer even see the carrot, and at one point in time, I had several carrots, not too long ago either (8-10 years ago).

As Bob Dylan said: The Times They Are A Changin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ