What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen in this interesting thread any mention of the reasons I think account for the death throes of the audio industry in America.

1. I live in a city with an MSA of a million people. In a typical issue of Stereophile magazine, not a single piece of equipment reviewed can be auditioned in my city. If one piece does happen to be on display in our one remaining stereo store, none of the others will be, making comparisons impossible.

2. The published specs for audio equipment are meaningless. Virtually all amplifiers, integrated amplifiers, and receivers can reproduce the entire frequency spectrum. So can virtually all CD players. Speakers are more variable, but they all can go higher than I (or most people) can hear. The low end does matter, but there are scores of speakers out there which go lower than any orchestral instrument (except piano and harp and pipe organ). But the fact that a piece of audio equipment can reproduce a note, tells you nothing about how it sounds. They can all reproduce a middle C; so can a car horn. Therefore, auditioning is essential; indeed, people like to advise you to trust your ears; but as noted in #1, there’s nowhere nearby to hear anything.

3. Well, there are online sellers who offer free trials. So, for example, I tried a pair of Ohm MicroWalshes, didn’t like them, the company kept its promise and refunded every cent I paid for the speakers – but shipping cost me $50 inward (a bargain) and $180 outward, for a total of $230 for my free trial. Larger and more expensive speakers would cost still more to ship. Let’s say you fancy a pair of Harbeths, which have a fanatic following. The three middle models are around the same size and run from around $4,000 to $7,000. There is nowhere within 500 miles of my home to audition these speakers. Home trial? I would need to find a seller willing to ship me three sets of speakers knowing he would get at least two sets back; I would need to lay out, say, $15,000, and spend many hundreds of dollars to ship them all back if I didn’t like any of them; and as the company does not sell direct in the U.S., I would be at the mercy of the seller’s solvency – if he went out of business, I would not be able to return them, indeed I would have no recourse if some of them arrived damaged as UPS and FedEx will only deal with the shipper to make claims.

4. Finally, there’s the “progress” of modern architecture. When I retired to Arizona, I brought with me the speakers I had lived with for 35 years and loved – a pair of Klipschorns. I discovered to my horror that modern houses have no corners, often no walls between the living room, dining room and kitchen. I did find a house with a few walls – I refuse to have a noisy refrigerator in my living room – but my living room has but one corner, the other should-be corners occupied by the front door, a back patio door, and an archway. In fact, as the walls are made of dry wall (cardboard, really), the single corner isn’t really a corner at all from the vantage of a K-Horn – sound doesn’t reflect off cardboard.

5. Finally finally, the audio magazines and catalogues are filled with superlatives which, applied to everything on offer, have no meaning at all. This amp is ideal, that one is perfect, that one punches well above its weight, that one sounds better than it has any right to at its price (which may be more than your car is worth, but when you hear it – which you have no way of doing without actually buying it – you’ll realize it’s really a bargain).

Music has played, and continues to play, a large part in my life. I can afford to indulge my hobby, and I have – since I culled my record collection for lack of room, I have acquired thousands of CDs. If I can’t upgrade my audio equipment due to lack of opportunity, I am scarcely surprised that young people – I’m much older than anybody in this thread – won’t even try.

Geoffkait, you forgot Command Performance, United Audio, iqexchange. 

64, 49, ?.  I retired this year, so I am not buying now because I purchased gear to take me into retirement. May buy a nice headphone setup this year. 

65 20 5

The hi-end audio business has ALWAYS been lame.   You've got a market depending on anal-retentive people with too much money and who are never satisfied, no matter how good it sounds.  That and those who have too much money and just KNOW they are entitled to "the best" in whatever it is they own.

Then there's the rest of us mere mortals who are careful as we can be in trying to get value for our limited audio dollars.  

The biggest problem hi-end audio has is not only are brands competing with each other, they're also competing with themselves.   That Rowland Research amp which sold for $10,000 20 years ago is still every bit as good as the day it was new and you can get it on the used market today for $3000 instead of buying the current model which is $18000.

I love the sound of Avalon loudspeakers.  Their top-line floor standing loudspeaker a few years ago sold for something like $25,000.   That same speaker today can be had on the used market for $10,000 or less, whereas the current top-line floor standing loudspeaker is selling at nearly $50,000.  You can't tell me it's $40,000 better.
Russbutton: But if it weren't for those "anal-rententive people with too much money... [who] KNOW they are entitled..." you wouldn't benefit from the trickle down in the used market, would you?
I've benefitted, as you have, from the used high-end market. But, no need to be angry with those who have money or spend it carelessly (in your estimation). There's always somebody richer, better looking, etc. I've made peace with that. 
There's another category --- me. I'm almost 69 years old (August). I bought my first system in 1973 and I will only buy anything again if it means recapture of funds or significant compactualization of the physical setup. Why? Because I don't have much interest in listening to music in a trance like I did for so many years. The new stuff mostly doesn't interest me and the older stuff is little more than an infrequent exercise in nostalgia. Plus, it has been overplayed in elevators, supermarkets, classic rock stations, movie background, etc. Enough already.
I listen to KVNF out of Paonia, Colorado. They have good taste, no screaming car dealer/cell phone/tanning salon/whatever ads screaming at me, and the element of surprise. When I play music, I know what is coming. When I let them do it, each selection surprises me. I'm an old hippie who likes the radio medium when well done. Everyone reading this has a computer which means all of you can stream thousands of radio stations from all over the world. Give it a try. It can be fun and it is free. Sonics will please everyone who isn't bound by the dissatisfaction that negates so much beauty. 
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.