Cartridges in general

The MM thread is in decline because the driving force Raul left his own thread. Besides the thread become to large so not easy to find whatever. Meanwhile J.Carr made the suggestion to extend the thread such that it would include electret , electorstatic and optical kinds in addition to the usual MC and MM kinds. J.Carr is invited to give some
kind of introduction to those 'strange kinds' of carts as the start for this new thread.
128x128nandric
Nandric,  Is that you in the photo?  What is it you are drinking, or are you offering all of us a drink?  A fine cognac, I hope. In the tiny photo, you look a little like one of my favorite American actors, Martin Landau.

I've had thoughts of finding and buying the correct Ortofon SUT for the MC2000 that I bought from you and which I continue to enjoy.  Just out of curiosity.

Carr's post reminded me; is there not a new cartridge just recently introduced that places the coil (MC type) right above the stylus tip?  Can someone jog my memory?  Also, I hope Jonathan will stay on board with this thread, as he obviously knows more about this subject than any of us can imagine.  I would like to read a word or two on strain gauge designs, esp the vintage ones, if Jonathan is reluctant to discuss the Sound Smith product.

Dear Lew, My photo is from the Facebook. I forget my ID but was

able to log in with my Facebook ID. I hope you will approve the wine

in casu: it was Barolo 2003. If I was as rich as Thuchan I would

offer the same wine to all of our members. But what I can offer

to you is the FRT-4 SUT so you can use ''my'' Ortofon MC 2000

with some real amplification(grin).

Dear @lewm : You are rigth, exist a new cartridge that puts the coil above the stylus. As you can see it's not a new " black thread " design.

I own the JVC L-1000 mentioned by JC and time ago posted about it in the MM thread and other threads too.

Btw, the " correct " SUT for the MC-2000 is the Ortofon T-2000 that was designed expressely/dedicated for that cartridge. Both Ortofon items appeared in the market at the same time and was the Ortofon advise to use it always together. I think no other SUT can even the matching characteristics of that combo.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
I'd like to find a T2000 for sale, just for curiosity to hear how it would mate with the MC2000.  However, like you, Raul, I generally try to avoid SUTs altogether.  In fact, I don't own one. Nor have I ever owned one. On eBay one occasionally sees the Ortofon T3000, but not the T2000. We are going to visit our son in Japan in a month from now, and I intend to search for a T2000, among other items that interest me, in Tokyo.