Obscure bands

Does anyone know a band called City Boy? (70's/80's)Very obscure and very original. It's beyond Me how such great talent goes so unnoticed! Also please chime in on other obscure talented musicians.

128x128arcam88
A couple a Southern janglers (both from Chapel Hill, NC I believe) and a first cousin

Arrogance (Don Dixon)

Let's Active (Mitch Easter)

The DBs (probably that area's biggest jangle rock act) were too well known for this thread IMO.  Still love the track "Amplifier", tho.

Color Me Gone (Marti Jones, eventually married Don Dixon), possibly from Akron, Ohio - tho, as Loomis so properly points out, my memories of provenance are not always 100% accurate.  Hey, it's been a while for these bands!

Marti Jones "Used Guitars" had some great songs, unfortunately the LP was bright sounding. 

Yep,

I cant argue with Whart: Used Guitars = great songs, lousy sound.  

For me, all of the early  Marti Jones records (Used Guitars, My Long Haired Life, Unsophisticated Time, Match Game, and Any Kind of Lie) combined first rate songs, beautiful singing, and mediocre to poor sound.  Her later record "Tidy, Doily Dream" and her live album, "Spirit Square",  both feature much better (tho still less than brilliant) SQ to my ear.
The Ravens were another great Baltimore band that had a local hit ("Raised on Radio") whose debut (and only) album should have hit platinum. Also  the UK Comsat Angels were reviewers favorite but never found real commercial success. 

Marti Jones, and her producer/husband Don Dixon, as SO good! Don may even be a better producer than T-Bone Burnette (and definitely a better songwriter and singer, not a T-Bone strength, imo). It's a shame he never progressed beyond that amateur DIY recorded sound quality as an engineer. I do believe there is an anti-audiophile sensibility in a lot of independent R & R producers, for some reason. Like to sound too "good" is to become mainstream.

But look at Nick Lowe; his first album (and the ones he produced for Elvis Costello) sounds pretty bad (though being musically great), but his second sounds completely different, pretty good (that may be due to Dave Edmunds' involvement).

Yeah Marty, I used some more familiar names to make the point that those names shouldn't be obscure, but appear to be to (perhaps) younger participants here.

You want obscure? I'll give ya obscure. For fans of Instro/Surf, the bass player of Los Straitjackets (themselves no doubt obscure to most, though they are on the same label as Nick Lowe, and appeared regularly on Conan O'Brien) was leader of his own Surf Band prior to joining them, The Halibuts. Drenched in reverb and fast songs.