A Couple Of Articles For Digital Listeners

If you prefer digital audio, here are a couple of articles that provide a little support for your listening preference.

MY INTENTION IS NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT WITH PEOPLE WHO PREFER VINYL.

IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THE ASSERTION THAT DIGITAL CAN SOUND VERY GOOD, MAYBE EVEN BETTER THAN VINYL, PLEASE DO NOT READ THESE ARTICLES.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

http://copper.psaudio.com/issue5/15/

128x128tomcy6
Exciting times! There's no doubt that the future is in digital recording and digital  playback. There was a time when film cameras simply made better looking photographs than digital cameras, i'm talking about professional equipment now. Eventually though, and it didn't take all that long, digital surpassed film and as a photographer for 20 years,  I can safely say that a high end digital camera will absolutely outperform a high-end film camera.

Clearly the case is not that cut and dry with audio.  Vinyl has been around for a very long time, and will stay around for a very long time as well.   I guess one  yardstick to keep an eye on would be the percentage of people who enjoy high resolution audio systems that use a vinyl playback system at all.

My prediction is that vinyl will go the way of the dinosaur,  but not for quite some time. I wonder how many high-end turntable producers there are today and how many there will be in 50 years? 100 years?  

I can see why some like vinyl, as I conducted an experiment with the same Beatles track on CD v Vinyl and I preferred the vinyl because it had more body to the mids and fuller bass , even though it’s wasn’t as tight or separated as the cd.

So what I did was to reduce the channel separation of the cd (120db) to the same channel separation of the vinyl (30-40db at best) with a left and right mono’izing bleed network on the cdp.

And you guessed it the Beatles now on CD replay was preferred, as there was body to the mids and fuller bass, and the left right ping pong effect of early music cd replay was greatly reduced, more mono’ized for want of a better word and no surface noise as well with no tracking distortion of a stylus, even though separation L & R spread was reduced and tightness also was reduced.

Cheers George

Marktomaras try Radka Toneff "Fairy Tales" and Paul Simon "You're the One" albums analog vs digital on your system. I doubt one will blow away the other as you requested but the digital is clearly superior on my system. 

Hey, if you enjoy vinyl more than digital, or digital more than vinyl, or both, who am I to say you are "right" or "wrong" for enjoying your listening one way or another.

Too many of us Audiogoners seem to insist they THEY are "right" and if you don't agree with them, YOU are "wrong".  Kind of detracts from the enjoyment?