Jantzen Wax Coil or Mundorf M-Coil CFC

Hi Everyone,

Need to build a new crossover for my Tannoy Monitor Red. My first choice for inductor is Mundorf Copper Air , M-Coil CFC. But it don't have the value I need and so I have to ask Mundorf to custom made it for a price. Then I found the Jantzen Copper Wax Coil, which looks fancy and cheaper. However, Can't find any review online. 

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these coil and which is better? 

thanks
Vic
viclauyyc

If the originals are air core and replaced with good quality air core with the same inductance and same dc resistance as the originals, I don’t think it matters too much.

But if you replace an iron core with an air core of the same inductance and dc resistance, then you "may" hear a difference, as an iron core will saturate earlier than an air core on big transients.

They sometimes use iron core chokes (coils) as a cost cutting (less copper needed) and for smaller physical size.

Cheers George

Debatable if you would hear the expense difference. Just change any iron core inductors for air core of the same value and dc resistance.

Cheers George

Inductors make a MASSIVE difference in sound quality, as much as capacitors.
The Jantzen Wax Coils are dead silent and have a black background, and have amazing dynamics. Get the 12 gauge version...

I know this post is 5 years old, but I had to correct the record. And yes, the wax coils are a serious upgrade over the mundorf plastic coils. The plastic coils are noisy, they have a harsh ringing in comparison to the paper wax housing.