AMR DP-777, what am I missing ?

There are a lot of people here who love this DAC, I purchased one (used) based on the many glowing reviews, but feel like this DAC falls short.
To be sure it bested (by not a lot) my Wavelength Cosecant (better imaging and bass) but I still prefer my modest analog setup (Rega RP6, Shelter 500).

I am sure my digital front-end is not super tuned: IMac, audirvana, no-name USB cable to DAC. But before I spend more money I would love some advice from the good folks in this forum on how I can make this $5000 retail DAC at least come close to my modest analog setup that cost much less retail without spending too much coin.

Do I need to invest in a music server, or maybe a USB to SPDIF, or better USB cable or all of the above.

Rest of my system.
Coincident Line stage
Coincident Dragon mk2 monoblocks
Verity Parsifal Encore speakers.

Thanks.
essrand

The presenter that showed us the new AMR DP777 SE version said it can do dsd. And that older versions can be upgraded to the new SE, we heard both versions compared on Redbook playback, and the newer SE one was slightly better, but the standard one would still do.

This was a quote on another forum.

" should have mentioned that AMR is about to come out with a new version of the DP-777. I believe it will utilize one DAC chip instead of two separate chips and will be DSD-enabled"

Whether this is just upsampled to dsd, or true native dsd, which to me there’s not much material that interests me on native dsd anyway.

Cheers George

I am not very interested in DSD so DP777 works fine for me.

if the new version has one chip instead of two it seems like a step backward as this was one of the best ideas of the Amr dac. 

Not tested this but I believe this dac does its best magic on redbook probably thanks to it having a dedicated chip for redbook.

holding on to my dp777 for now :)
I have 3 DP-777's I like them so much. Upgraded one to the SE version and found it worthwhile enough to upgrade the other two! (Better bass and more aire.) A friend with a high-end ($30k) turntable e/ Anna cartridge upgraded to SE and loves it, finds it very close to his analog rig. Just as good as my Metrum Hex but the AMR has the aforementioned preamp ability, phase, dedicated high rez dac. Mini Mac/Pro helps, ifi USB 3.0 helps, and switching out the one center chassis tube, 6922, for an nice NOS Amperex made a big improvement (switching the two 5670 tubes, one on either side of the chassis, made little difference). I do understand there is another DSD upgrade coming which I probably won't do, feeling it is "good 'nuf" right now.

I just purchased this DAC, I am still waiting for it to be shipped, it is the SE version. The dealer let me do an in - home demo, non SE, and I found the DAC, to be exceptional.... especially on RB, which it will be use 99% of the time when paired with the Aurender N-100H server. My CDP, will now be used as a transport.