Need New MM Cartridge Recommendation

Hello All!

I need a recommendation on a new moving magnet phono cartridge. 

Here's my system:

Roksan Radius 5 (I think MK1 or 2) turntable 
Creek Evolution 100A integrated amplifier with Creek Sequel MM board
PSB Imagine T2 loudspeakers 

The Roksan came with a Roksan Corus Black MM cartridge, which was likely a Goldring manufactured cart.  It was great!  The stylus broke off after about 8 years use. 

I was wondering about the following but am open to all recommendations: 

Clearaudio Maestro (yikes! It's $1200)
Ortofon 2m Black
Goldring carts similar to Corus
Audio Technica AT150MLX

Any insight and recommendations will be super appreciated!

PS:   Sequel 40 mk2 MM Phono pre-amp is the device specifically suited for most types of Moving Magnet cartridges, with an output between 3.5 to 5mV and a matching impedance of 47k Ohms.
128x128jbhiller
Dear chakster: I will answer you in the MM thread. IMHO the subject belongs there and not here. 

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
@fleib

The SAS was a great replacement for many carts. Where else can you get a boron/MR for peanuts? It’s the cantilever, not the tip which excites the generator. What kind of cantilever does the Technics have? Good luck finding original Technics stylus.

Technics EPC-205CMk4 comes with super light weight tapered Boron pipe. The metal has been crystallized and then processed into a cantilever with a laser beam. This design results in a dramatic reduction in effective tip mass which is 0,109 mg. Stylus is 0,2 x 0,7 elliptical (0,07-mm square-block diamond tip). Neodymium magnet. Frequency response: 5 Hz to 100 khz

For some reason the original technics stylus was much better to my ears than new jico sas.

Another technics epc-100c mk3 was retipped and recantilevered by Axel (with magaoka boron cantilever and elliptical diamond). Also great cartridge. 

Chakster,

**For some reason the original technics stylus was much better to my ears than new jico sas.**

You're comparing a pipe (tube) cantilever to a solid rod - no comparison.  My Genesis 1000 has a boron tube and the cart was retipped by Soundsmith with original cantilever. Replace it with a rod and the magic goes away.
These cantilever/stylus assemblies were undoubtedly sourced from Namiki who held the patent on the microridge.  This tip looks identical to the AT ML and SAS.  All carts are designed/voiced differently, but to say the SAS is inferior is ill informed.  It's no coincidence that Griffithds, Halcro, Nandric and myself, to name some, all think the Victor Z1/SAS is an excellent cart. It has a short cantilever so HF resonance is suitably high and transient response is excellent. It may not be your favorite, but I'm glad I bought one.

BTW, a retipper usually has complete stylus/cantilever assemblies sourced from Ogura or Namiki. I doubt if they sell factory 2nds. 

Raul, Do you realize there are human beings on the other end of your rationalizations?  I have a Russian Blue cat named Comrade BC I'd like you to meet.

Regards, and enjoy your 32 bits. 

Jbhiller,

Wondering what you think of the 2M Black now that you've had some time with it.  Still feel there is increased surface noise?

If you're still looking for an AT comparison we can discuss it.  You said the Roksan cart seemed more holographic and something about finesse?

Regards,

Fleib,

Yes, I have now had the Ortofon 2M Black running as much as possible.  
Surface noise is way lower than when I first installed it several weeks ago.  I don't think it's me getting used to it either.  I can remember there being more hiss coming off records.  It seems to be better behaved.  

Also, I really dialed in vertical tracking angle, tracking force, and azimuth (side to side leveling ?) on the Roksan Nima tonearm.  Imaging is way better and there's better balance between the low, mid and high end. 

What's more, I've been adding in bung port plugs on my PSB Imagine T2 loudspeakers.  Wow!  I'm getting imaging galore and sparkle on the top end, which I was longing for (not the fault of the Roksan Corus Black or the Ortofon--just tuning my speakers). 

I'm very, very happy.  I'm just super curious to see what a <$400 Audio Technica MM cart could do in competition.  At $750, the Ortofon 2M Black was getting pricy to the point of knocking on the door of going moving coil and buying a new phono board for the Creek Evolution 100A integrated to amplify the moving coil.  

I just finished listening to Getz/Gilberto and I have Sufjan Stevens, Illinoise, on right now (I'm just getting to know this album--it won awards 10 years ago and I never heard it).  Both records sound beautiful and real.  Great holography.  I had Eric Clapton's Unplugged album on this weekend too.  So lifelike.  I'm really enjoying this thing.  

I'd say price is the only drawback.  I just don't know where the surface noise went!  I know it was there during 1-20 hours or so.  I suppose cartridges do break in?  I've owned:  garbage cartridges as a kid in the 70s/80s, a Rega Elicit (I think in 1996), a Grado Prestige something (around $125), a Roksan Corus (a great cartridge made by Goldring) and now the Ortofon 2M Black.  

I'm loving vinyl again and listening to more music than ever. 

Let me know if I can be of help or answer any questions.