WARNING - USE UPS FOR SHIPPING RATHER THAN FEDEX

Just a bit of advice for those shipping heavy items to buyers.

FedEx has indicated that it is their policy NOT TO REIMBURSE shippers / buyers for the damage to the container of a shipment - you must replace the container at your own cost.  

UPS has confirmed that it is their policy TO REIMBURSE shippers / buyers for the damage to the container of a shipment - provided you provide sufficient proof of loss.  

This happened to me this week.  FedEx destroyed an expensive box containing an amplifier I purchased on Audiogon.  The shipper filed the claim for replacement of the box, which cost $150 from the manufacturer, and FedEx denied the claim - because they do not insure the container - ONLY THE CONTENTS.  The shipper had foolproof proof of loss.  Yet FedEx would not reimburse him.  The shipper did have a new box sent to me - but, he had to absorb the entire cost of the damage caused by FedEx.  

The only recourse the buyer has is to simply "reject" the shipment and FedEx will return it to the seller at the seller's cost.  In this instance, I conferred with the shipper, and he decided to have me accept the shipment and he would replace the box.  But... it was a costly lesson.  

This is the socond time this has happened to me - FedEx has damaged a container, during shipment.  So - it is a frequent enough occurence that it will be my policy in the future to ship only via UPS.  
bassdude
FedEx absolutely destroyed a pair of $3000 loudspeakers, beyond belief destruction, then tried to settle for $1200 despite our insured and provable value of $3000.   Only after we threatened to create a website: www.howfedexdestroyedourproduct.com did they settle.  Very bad experience with FedEx.  
Just to weigh in on this - I bought a factory-refurbished Denon AVR recently from a Denon-authorized dealer that was shipped FedEx. I purchased on a Weds, it shipped on Weds 20 min. later with an immediate email from FedEx offering me a tracking number and various special delivery options. I was informed it would be delivered on Friday, and because I could only be home after a certain time I paid extra to schedule a delivery window on Friday evening between 5pm-8pm. 

On Thursday afternoon my delivery date was changed to Saturday in a follow up email. No reason given. Tracking indicated that my package sat idle in a warehouse for 23 hours. On Friday morning I contacted FedEx customer service to complain since I paid for a specific delivery window on a specific date. It was clear from the email I received in response that the customer service rep either had not read or had not understood my complaint, as he simply indicated that my package would be delivered during my 5pm-8pm delivery window... the day after scheduled delivery. He was not the slightest
bit apologetic about this. 

I attempted to rearrange my Saturday schedule to accommodate. FedEx missed the delivery window. At 8:15pm I left for the appointment I would now be considerably late for. At 9:30pm the driver called me and left a voicemail to the effect that he was leaving my "signature required" package in between the doors at my apartment. 5 minutes later he called back and told my voicemail that he was leaving the package with a neighbor across the street and two doors down - a neighbor I had never met and did not know at all. He gave this person my phone number. 

While my neighbor turns out to *not* be a dangerous psychopath serial killer, and ultimately I picked up my new AVR from her the following morning, I think you'll understand why I fall into the "Never Again FEDEX" camp. We seem to have come a long long way from the days of "When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight" to "We don't really give a shit if it gets there at all, and we don't mind distributing your personal contact information to strangers along the way." 

What a troll ... all we have here are anecdotal experiences.

Having said that, here's a tip (whether you're a FedEx or UPS fanboy) ...

Use nylon strapping on your cartons.  It's a $150.00 investment in the tensioning and crimping tools but well worth it.  What does it accomplish in addition to holding the carton together?  It ensures manual handling and your precious cargo doesn't travel on those long, inclined roller/ramps. 

This eliminates both the risk of the package taking a 12 foot fall off the high point of the ramp, as well as there being a 100 pound carton (immediately behind/above yours) slamming into your shipment.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier Design
Wow... when I started this thread... I had no idea it would elicit all of these great incidents and suggestions of how to prevent destruction of your shipment by FedEx and UPS.

Keep em’ comin’

But... in the meantime... give us the link to where / how to get "nylon strapping / tensioning system."

What we need from this thread is how to prevent damage to expensive equipment, during shipping. That’s not FedEx... or... UPS.

But... it may be SBA or BAX.

I can tell you one thing... I will not... entrust expensive items to either one - FedEx or UPS.

But... maybe... SBA or BAX.

Ooops... I’m repeating myself...

Oh... well... after 4 glasses of an incredible wine - I’m sure you can understand!

Or... I’ll make dam’n sure the seller bears "risk of loss" if shipped via FedEx or UPS.

And... make sure you pay via PayPal / Credit Card - that will reimburse you if you do not receive the shipment undamaged, in the condition described by seller.

These are "no-brainer" suggestions to protect you.

You should do the same.
I was sitting in my living room one day and UPS pulled up. I was waiting for delivery of a tube amplifier and was hoping this was it. It wasn't a large or extremely heavy unit but the driver in his rush took a step out the door of his truck and dropped it. It fell hitting the bottom step of the truck and landed on the pavement. He proceeded to scoop it up and headed to my door. Well, thought I, do you suppose he will say anything? After the usual "How you doin'" he thrusts his signature pad out. So I sez, sez I " I saw you drop the box. I will not accept delivery until I open it and examine the contents AND make sure it will work." He sez "Oh, you saw that? Heh heh" Upon opening I found one of the tubes was smashed. That was all it took. I refused delivery due to damage, called the seller and told him what happened. All worked out in the end but this cured me of UPS once and for all.