Surround Processor better than a Proceed AVP?

Looking for a $500-900 Surround Processor Recommendation to replace a Proceed AVP-S:

1.Must have multi-room (2 zone) preout for 2-ch (so no Meridian?)
2.2-ch and 5-ch music quality on-par with or better than the Proceed AVP-S (so no Japanese AVRs?)
3.DD/DTS a must
4.Reliable – no pops or hiss. I’m getting some little pops and hangs with my AVP.
5.DD TrueHD or 5.1 analog input (AVP lacks this, AVP2 too expensive?)

Amps will be Rotel, speakers from North Creek (front/sub) and NHT (rear in-ceiling). I will not need any video switching.
ericsphillips
I use a Proceed PAV/PDSD pair that has functioned flawlessly for years with never a hiss nor pop. I did have the power supply of the PAV repaired and many caps replaced at a local shop for $250.

I'd like to have MC DSD via HDMI 1.3 to use with my Sony XA5400ES source, along with the the latest codecs, but I've concluded the minimum cost is likely to be at least $2K -- if you can can buy a used Cary Cinema 11a from someone unhappy with its bugs.

An AVP2 would be a nice step up, until you get a few $K to spend on a processor. I Think you need to cut back on expectations or settle for lessor sound quality.

db
Kenny,

I thought you need 1.3 for DSD, but in fact I don't have any HDMI audio input. Right now both my HD-DRV and PS3-80 send video via HDMI to my DVDO Edge. The video is sent to the projector via HDMI, and the audio is stripped off and sent to the PDSD via optical or coax cable, if forget which. My XA5400ES outputs analog XLR directly to the PAV.

Someday I hope to have the XA5400ES send MC DSD via HDMI to a Cary Cinema 11a or sonic equivalent, and the Edge would send audio from the HD-DVR and PS3 via HDMI to the processor as well. Were the PDSD upgradable to future technology such as HDMI as it was intended to be, that's what I would do, but then we all know Harmon International is most definitely not Madrigal.

db
db,

What you need is a processor that can decode the new codecs of Blu-ray, they are a HUGE step forward in movie soundtracks!

Unfortunately to match the sound of your PDSD/PAV you'll be spending ~$7K plus.

I feel your pain in the combo, Madrigal really screwed everyone who bought that piece, they just let that set die on the vine. Too bad it's a really good sounding piece, as it should be for the $10K it cost new (my buddy just sold his for $1,400 a few months back, several months after sending it inb for repairs that cost $1,500)
Kenny,

Michael Fremer's review of the audio only Cary Cinema 11a and the comments of even those dissatisfied with the bugs at least in the earlier versions of the firmware suggest it provides superb sound. It can process the new Blu-ray codecs. Although the MSRP is $4K, a number of units were listed at around $2K by owners unhappy about the bugs. But later versions of the firmware seem to have reduced the bugs, and I have not seen a Cinema 11a for sale recently. I keep looking.

db