Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12
brik_face
I just contacted ACUPWR representative Ron and he assured me that
there is no hum or degradation to the sound. I am also intending to import
Accuphase E-370 from Japan. He also mentioned that many Luxman
owners ordered step down transformers from them.
In the case of Accuphase, I would definitely buy direct from Japan.  Compared to the US price, you can buy two units from Japan and still have some money left over. (That includes shipping and transformer!)  I would use PriceJapan.com   Anyone curious about distributor markups in the US and Europe should check it this web dealer out. 
This is all good information... I keep stalking the Japanese sites now with more confidence! So over the past few day i was actually able to find a gentleman in my area (SF bayarea) that was able to convert the power internally and he did it with no help from Accuphase, " Sorry but we cannot do voltage conversions due to liability problems" <this should be a whole other thread of why the hell Accuphase are the fun police?!>.  He Read the supply board, drew it's schematic and then verified on paper the change in the jumpers that would resulted in 120vac.  He even gave me a table of how to jump it back to 230vac if need be.