Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12
Realize this is a thread with a couple of years on it. Just purchased a Luxman L505uxg from Japan. Used a well rated E-Bay seller. The transaction went smoothly and delivery took a week. There was no US Customs import duty applied upon arrival. I purchased a high quality US made step down transformer (1,000 watt) from ACUPWR to reduce voltage to 100volt and I'm very pleased. The step-down transformer runs continuously and is barely warm to the touch. I saved $1200 going this route. I realize the risks relating to service and support however the Luxman reputation for quality made this a fairly low risk purchase. The Owners Manual is of course in Japanese however all markings on the front and rear of the amp are in English. I'm pleased to say the least.
mobygrape  -  How do you find the ACUPWR transformer/ does it generate any humming? do you use a power conditioner between the transformer and amp?

I recently acquired a Accuphase from germany so my power problem is the opposite of yours.

brik_face
I just contacted ACUPWR representative Ron and he assured me that
there is no hum or degradation to the sound. I am also intending to import
Accuphase E-370 from Japan. He also mentioned that many Luxman
owners ordered step down transformers from them.
In the case of Accuphase, I would definitely buy direct from Japan.  Compared to the US price, you can buy two units from Japan and still have some money left over. (That includes shipping and transformer!)  I would use PriceJapan.com   Anyone curious about distributor markups in the US and Europe should check it this web dealer out.