Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12
Hi Renjy,

Cool sounds good. I got your message and I replied. :D

Is Japanaudio reputable?
David, since you are living in Europe (I've read on your system page that you
are living in England) it should not be that difficult to find a demo model. For
example, in the Netherlands there are currently an E-350 and also an E-450
advertised by dealer on www.hifi.nl (look in the "tweedehands" section). Check
also www.audio-markt.de, (with a little patience) one can find pretty much
any Accuphase model on this site. Germany is the number one importer of
Accuphase units, they have great respect for Accuphase (which says a lot
about the brand).

Regarding the E-307 integrated, I would say it is a bit too old (10 years or so).
For a couple of hundreds more you should be able to get an E-308 (the
predecessor of E-350). However, since currently you are driving your speakers
with a small tube amp, I would advise you to go for an E-550. It has as much
power as the E-308 and E-350 integrated amps but sounds better and also
copes better with difficult loads. If you need/want more power then go for the
E-408 or E-450 (of these two I would pick up the first one).

Dave, not much will be achieve by calling Accuphase in Japan and complain
about their dutch dealer. My feeling is that the importers are required to
behave that way (I've understood that the German importer behaves similarly).
From their perspective Accuphase is not like any other brand and hence is not
for everyone. They will be polite with you (if you look decent) and just order
products without much concern for the price. This is usually the case
with most luxurious brands/shops. (Of course, dealers do not behave like
that, they are always happy to sell an Accuphase.)

Paul
Realize this is a thread with a couple of years on it. Just purchased a Luxman L505uxg from Japan. Used a well rated E-Bay seller. The transaction went smoothly and delivery took a week. There was no US Customs import duty applied upon arrival. I purchased a high quality US made step down transformer (1,000 watt) from ACUPWR to reduce voltage to 100volt and I'm very pleased. The step-down transformer runs continuously and is barely warm to the touch. I saved $1200 going this route. I realize the risks relating to service and support however the Luxman reputation for quality made this a fairly low risk purchase. The Owners Manual is of course in Japanese however all markings on the front and rear of the amp are in English. I'm pleased to say the least.
mobygrape  -  How do you find the ACUPWR transformer/ does it generate any humming? do you use a power conditioner between the transformer and amp?

I recently acquired a Accuphase from germany so my power problem is the opposite of yours.